Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Neighbors to the North

I'm spending a few days in Montreal and looking for recommendations. Are there any excellent gaming cafes/pubs, game stores, escape rooms, or other fun gaming-related activities that I should check out? Any advice is much appreciated.

Merci!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
Canada
Beaconsfield (Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you've heard of Randolph's Pub. It looks like the website is only in French, but most of the games are in English, and similarly most of the players and "animators" speak English. I've only been there for math trades, but everyone seems to have very good things to say about the place. There are two locations. The one on St-Denis street is the closest to downtown.

https://www.randolph.ca/

A nice game store is Le Valet d'Coeur, also on St-Denis street (although much farther north). Prices aren't as good as online, of course, but they have a very large variety and sometimes have stuff on sale. They would certainly be able to recommend games and also gaming cafes.

http://www.levalet.com/en/

I hope that helps and that you enjoy your stay in Montreal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan pancaldi
Canada
Les Coteaux, Que.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Apart from gaming you have to eat, and one place you have to go which isn't far from Valet d'Coeur is Schwartz's Deli. It's on St Laurent. You never know who you might meet there. whistle
By the way do not order your smoked meat lean....never.
Just go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Birkbeck
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La Recreation is good gaming cafe, at the corner of St-Denis and Ontario, near the Berri-UQAM metro station. Also worth checking out is Point de Victoire, a newer and smaller store located at 4996B Queen Mary Road, near the Snowden metro station. Note they might be closed for new years.

Besides Le Valet, there's also Face a Face on Wellington in Verdun (near de l'Eglise metro station) and the game store across the street. While more magic oriented and with less selection, they do have some better prices than Le Valet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Lots of escape rooms. Just need to search it.
I did enjoy Find the Key. They're worth a visit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bethany Creaser
United States
Derby Line
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Montreal but I see you are from Montpelier and thought you may be interested. Green Mountain Gamers is hosting a 12 hour game day in Barre on Jan 13th from 10am to 10pm at the Church of the Good Shepherd on Washington St. Here is a link for info - https://www.facebook.com/events/154528215187621/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franakin 74
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a good escape rooms i recommand : https://echappetoi.com/fr/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Schofield
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the Randolph as it's right nearby downtown too and their craft beer selection is awesome! Next door to it you will find also a bar called "Arcade Mtl" which as vintage 80's arcade games . Both Arcade Mtl and the Randolph have a 5$ "cover charge" to cover the arcade games (you play for free), and the staff that suggest games to you and explain the rules, respectively.

Note that for gaming cafés like La Récréation (not the Randolph because it's a bar) their license is in such a way in the province that you have to order a meal to have alcohol served to you. Might as well know about that ahead of time! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Gallardo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

IMHO, the best escape-the-room place in Montreal is Obsidem. The best rooms there are The Trap and Project X. (If you are just two, then also try Dynamic Duo.)

There are several Archery Tag/DodgeBow places in Montreal; the best is Combat d'Archers. Very friendly staff and there's a separate training room for those new to the sport. They have a deal on Wednesday evenings: 2h for $25. The same place also offers Nerf gun combat.

There are places to do axe throwing in Montreal, such as Rage.

If you're a fan of bowling, Quebecers do it a bit differently (and better, in my opinion): They use much smaller balls that fit in your hand. For me, way more fun! One bowling alley is Darling Salon de Quilles.

Other than the gaming cafes mentioned in the thread, there are also several gaming groups in Montreal welcome to everyone:

* Montreal Games Meetup
* Search for the "Montreal boardgames (at Concordia)" Facebook group

Apparently, there's a video game museum, Pixel-Time Museum, but it's located in Longueuil at Institut Desgraff. Admission is free, but you have to make a reservation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.