Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So lets say your hero gets KOed while using the [green] terrain special ability ‘Take Cover’ which gives you +2 defense until you move. Subsequently your hero gets KOed while taking said cover—I’m assuming this +2 defense applies when rolling healing during said hero’s ‘awakening’ roll, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol ok, I have a secondary question to ‘Awakening’, which concerns Leonardo’s ‘I’ll Hold Them Off’

For this situation, this ability gives adjacent Heroes +2 defense AND counts as 3 figures for calculating ‘awakening’.

Therefore, if he’s adjacent to an awakening hero AND he has this ability active, does that mean he gives +8 to heroes waking up next to him?! (+2x3 Heroes,+2 defense to adjacent heroes)

I mean it totally makes sense and i have no problem with that, it’s just I didn’t realize how helpful this ability is in terms of waking up heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the bonus from terrain applies to awakening rolls. KO'd figures cannot have special moves used on them unless otherwise stated. I know terrain effects aren't special moves per se, but I think they're close enough that they shouldn't count.

Also, the rules mention that you get to roll dice equal to your defend attribute plus defense icons and plus or minus various amounts for adjacent figures. Page 10 defines defense icons as those on your dice. So a more literal reading might confirm that only shells on your dice (or those on dice shared with you) add to an awakening roll. I'll admit I'm not 100% on this interpretation, though. Hopefully Kevin will come shed some light on this.

Related to the above, I don't think the +2 defend from "I'll hold them off" applies to KO'd figures since it doesn't say specifically that it applies to awakening figures. The 'counts as 3 figures' does specifically state it applies to awakening figures though. So that's +6 dice to awakening heroes or -6 dice to awakening villain leaders. It's a very useful card. Don't discount the break away buff it gives either, as that's a great way to pin down fleeing enemies, such as in Book 1-1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
I don't think the bonus from terrain applies to awakening rolls. KO'd figures cannot have special moves used on them unless otherwise stated. I know terrain effects aren't special moves per se, but I think they're close enough that they shouldn't count.

Also, the rules mention that you get to roll dice equal to your defend attribute plus defense icons and plus or minus various amounts for adjacent figures. Page 10 defines defense icons as those on your dice. So a more literal reading might confirm that only shells on your dice (or those on dice shared with you) add to an awakening roll. I'll admit I'm not 100% on this interpretation, though. Hopefully Kevin will come shed some light on this.

Related to the above, I don't think the +2 defend from "I'll hold them off" applies to KO'd figures since it doesn't say specifically that it applies to awakening figures. The 'counts as 3 figures' does specifically state it applies to awakening figures though. So that's +6 dice to awakening heroes or -6 dice to awakening villain leaders. It's a very useful card. Don't discount the break away buff it gives either, as that's a great way to pin down fleeing enemies, such as in Book 1-1.

Thanks for the reply-I'm totally with you on your answers, but let me examine both questions a bit further, since i think we can both agree, at this point, there is no official answer.

Page 16 of the rulebook refers to KOed characters saying, "..., nor may special moves be used on them unless otherwise stated." So seeing as 'Take Cover' has no explicit text refering to KO, i'd concur that with you there.
I'd also agree in this situation, Terrain Special moves are effected the same way as regular special moves. Ok, so by the same reasoning, the +2 defend from "i'll hold the off" is out too.

Ok—sometimes writing helps me think, lol.

I don't think you even have to refer to the wording on page 10—The answer is a bit clearer once deducing the intentions of the words on page 16. I think the wording is a bit ambiguous, and I think something like, "a KOed hero CANNOT be effected by special moves, unless otherwise stated", would have been clearer, but I think I get what they intended now.

Thanks—Bandage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol-ok, I just realized another problem in this situation: What happens AFTER someone who takes cover wakes up in the same spot?!

According to the ‘take cover’ card, as long as you didn’t move from the spot, then you get +2 defense, but that’s pretty weird considering the lul in the ability while you were KOed.

I think the designer intented KO to end the ‘take cover’ should you get KOed, but that means they’d probably have to emend the eratta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably just easier to assume that the act of laying down the KO'd figure on its side counts as 'leaving the space' for covered and blocking terrain purposes. There's only so much room on the card for text and this seems like an edge case best left to an FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m definitely on board with that explanation and that it’s a question that belongs on a FAQ, rather than the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.