Subject: Thumb usage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

When flicking is it allowed to charge your flick by using your thumb (ie. forming the OK-sign with your fingers and using your thumb as a "springboard")?
I seem to recall seeing in a gameplay video that is was not allowed, but the manual doesn't seem to mention it.

I assume in most cases a thumb-charged flick would be too powerful to be very useful but could come in handy if you need to knock something down/off, so was just wondering whether it is a legal technique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I just got my copy, read the rules, and wondered the same thing. I believe it was the Shut Up and Sit Down playthrough video (of Catacombs 3E, not Catscombs and Castles) in which they mention this rule.

I'm wondering if the Dev chose not to include the rule in this version of the game because the board is somewhat smaller than the board in the original, and therefore using "power shots" with your thumb may not seem quite as necessary to players since there's less ground to cover?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
demax51 wrote:
I believe it was the Shut Up and Sit Down playthrough video (of Catacombs 3E, not Catscombs and Castles) in which they mention this rule.

SUSD mention this rule in their Flick 'Em Up review (which also features Catacombs 3E) because it is specifically addressed in the Flick 'Em Up rules. This is not a specific rule in Catacombs, however.

In practice, I've never found flicking by using your thumb in this way to provide any advantage or to even be particularly useful; Catacombs is a game of finesse - not brute force.

That said - to each their own. Play it whichever way makes it the most fun for the players in your group. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.