Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assigning of damage + blocking it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey guys,

just finished our first game of SWR with my brother a while ago. What a ride, I am amazed.

However, we came to some problems during the gameplay, most of them smoothed out but there is still one that bothers me.

Let´s say we have a space battle with just 2 ships. I have an X-wing with remaining 1 health. During the combat phase I do not assign any damage, however e.g. star destroyer gets 3 hits on dices. I use tactics card block attack of 1 health. Do I still get hit by 2 remaining shots of the star destroyer or do I get no hits at all.

Thanks
Dominik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, if they assign three hits to your ship and you block one you still get two.

you can assign extra overkill hits to things when you anticipate that your opponnentwill block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools

Are you playing base game or expansion? Not that is matters much but would be easier to give you an exact answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks a lot. So if I had other ship, the opponent would have to decide where to deal damage first, without knowing where I will use the block?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azlofiru wrote:
Thanks a lot. So if I had other ship, the opponent would have to decide where to deal damage first, without knowing where I will use the block?

That's right. Your opponent has to assign all the damage caused (from his dice and tactics cards) before you play your block cards.

In fact, he won't even know if you have any block cards until you play them. So he might spread the damage around, or he might try to concentrate damage on a particular ship to hopefully stop you from blocking enough to save it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some cards that block 1 damage, and a card that blocks 2 damage if you discard another card.

So we often end up checking how many cards the other person has, in important battles. If they only have 1, then we know 1 point of overkill will be enough. If they have more, then we have fun bluffing and waving our (probably entirely useless) cards around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you very much for your inputs, now it is clear. May the force be with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a battle with only your xwing and the star destroyer, your opponent would always assign all hits to your xwing so either you block all 3 damage or its eliminated.
Not assigning hits for lack of other targets would be a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, though, that "hits" on the Star Destroyer's red dice won't hit the X-Wing; on the red dice, only "critical hits" can be assigned to an X-Wing because its health is black. Likewise, the X-Wing needs a critical hit on its single black die to inflict a point of damage, because the Star Destroyer has red health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.