1 Posts

The Oregon Trail: Hunt for Food Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule discrepancy/clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Grotz
United States
flag msg tools
In reviewing the rules for Oregon Trail: Hunt for Food, I found a discrepancy. There is a contradictory rule/explanation which is fairly important and could significantly change the difficulty and outcome of the game.

In the last paragraph of 'Shooting at Animals,' the rules specifically state that 'if there are four players in the game and two expire on the Trail, the other two will each roll two dice. If they are shooting at a bison, for example, they will still need a combination of 4 ones and/or twos to kill the bison.' This seems fairly clear to me. You need four successful 'hits' to kill the animal in a 4 player game (even if two players are already dead).

However, in the last two paragraphs in 'Sample Play,' the explanation describes a situation 'The hunting party has 2 of the three numbers that they need to shoot the squirrels' which implies that only three 'hits' are required in a 4 player game (one player is dead already). According to the initial rule in Shooting at Animals, the situation would require 4 hits to kill the squirrels since it's a four player game (even though one player is dead), but in the explanation it says only three numbers or 'hits' are required.

Can this be clarified please? Does each [live] player only need one successful hit to kill the animals? Or do you need the same number of successful hits as the number of players at the start of the game? The second scenario would make this game significantly harder which I'm assuming is the correct rule, but I'd like clarification just to be sure.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.