Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hayes
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was sweet enough to track down a game that has been on my wishlist for quite some time X-Men: Under Siege for me for Christmas. Being a kids game from the 90s as you can imagine it has some issues in its condition. One of the biggest things is that it appears that the dice were stickered incorrectly. Has anyone ever encountered this in a secondhand game, before? Is there a way to fix these dice so that the game can be played correctly? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A sharp hobby knife may be able to peel them off without damaging them. Not sure if they would be able to be re-stuck though. You can probably print new labels on printer label paper - I use that when making PNP games and they look really nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blast them with a hair dryer. Peel one edge up with an eXacto knife or razor blade. Apply new glue and reattach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
To remove old stickers (or just about anything), Goo Gone is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
To remove old stickers (or just about anything), Goo Gone is great.

Not if you're trying to save the stickers so they can be put on correctly so the game can be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb

Scan the dice images before you tear up the stickers. If something goes wrong, you can use the graphic to print replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
It's a good idea to scan or see if good clear pictures of the stickers already exist before you start delving into restoration, as mentioned.

Then you'll need a very thin palette knife, razor blade or hobby knife. If using a blade, get one that's dull and round the edge further with sandpaper. Try applying heat, via a hair dryer or heat gun or even a non-LED lightbulb. Sometimes this will facilitate lifting the stickers, sometimes it doesn't. Still worth a shot. Carefully ease the thin metal of your choice under the sticker edge, working down the middle then out towards the other edges.

When peeling stickers, try to avoid forcing a hard angle as it can mar the surface with a fold line. Work more gently when approaching corners and edges, as they will come away with less force. There are a few possibilities in how the sticker will behave.

1. It will be 'dry' and pop off. The adhesive is no longer sticky.
2. It will peel away, staying intact. You should be able to stick it back down without further treatment.
3. It will stubbornly refuse to move, and/or you may end up peeling off the face of the sticker, leaving the adhesive behind.

In the cases of 1 and 3, you'll need to re-apply the adhesive. There are a few options for this. With case 3, the sticker will be thinner than it originally was, and double sided tape works decently. With case 1, I'd choose a repositionable / temporary adhesive from the craft store, the stuff used for scrapbooking to reapply the stickiness.

Another option is making some custom dice, like these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your recommendations and help all, I really appreciate and I really want to know what is involved in making custom dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Custom dice like the ones above are actually pretty easy. All you need are some blank dice, a craft knife, metal ruler, a dull metal blade, sealant, printer and sticker paper.

For the sticker sheets I like Avery brand, because I've got some packs that are 10+ years old and still as good as the day they were bought. Others I've had yellowed or got less sticky in the package. If you cruise your local thrift stores, you can often pick up partial packs of printer stickers for a couple bucks. Make sure you get ones that are compatible with your printer - inkjet and laser types are not interchangeable unless the package says so!

For dice, you can ghoul Yahtzee Jr. sets or buy 'em. I get mine from http://blankdice.co.uk because they have more affordable shipping to Canada, but you may have better mileage with a US seller like http://indentedblankdice.com There are also non-indented dice which are much cheaper but they don't protect the stickers as well.

Then it's just a case of printing off the graphics at the right size (I use Inkscape for layout), spray coating them with acrylic sealant, cutting the individual stickers apart, colouring the edges if needed, then applying.

Making custom dice. Sturdy, cheap and stylish or: Taking arch punches to the next level (Image heavy) <- another method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.