Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla B
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://www.hpb.com/home

Unfortunately they don’t have any games online, but in store they have new and used games. The new games are usually already 20 percent off MSRP, so you might get a good deal. I am going to look for deals on used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went into one of these while visiting my parents in the western Chicagoland suburbs last month. I was really surprised by the selection of books. On the flip side, I was kind of turned off by their of knowledge of gamebooks (like Fabled Lands). I figured this would be the place to inquire about said things; boy was I mistaken! (The guy took me to the videogame section, and then when I clairified a little more, he took me to their RPGs...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
I went into one of these while visiting my parents in the western Chicagoland suburbs last month. I was really surprised by the selection of books. On the flip side, I was kind of turned off by their of knowledge of gamebooks (like Fabled Lands). I figured this would be the place to inquire about said things; boy was I mistaken! (The guy took me to the videogame section, and then when I clairified a little more, he took me to their RPGs...)

Well I think that is a little unfair to expect a bookstore employee to know about your obscure book interests.

I worked in bookstores for 15 years, and I have been involved in hobby gaming for about 17 years, and I have never heard of Fabled Lands until I read your post. Just hasn't been part of my experience in either book selling or gaming, and I am sure the employee you talked to probably has less experience then I do in both areas.

While booksellers are smart, keep in mind they aren't omnipotent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the wouldn't have expected this of a general bookstore like B&N, or most used bookstores, but when I saw that they had rather hard to find board games like Stellar Conquest and Ambush! proudly displayed in their window, in VG condition, I thought it was more of a specialty shop, honestly. It's the marketing that I was objecting to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sell new games at 20% off and the 20% off sale stacks (36% off due to discounts being applied separately). This is an especially good deal for FFG/DoW/other Asmodee games that are price protected for online sellers. Some titles to look for that have been in HPB recently:

Pandemic Season 2
Fallout
Civilization New Dawn
Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride Rails and Sails
Kingdomino
Catan stuff
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game stuff
Pathfinder RPG stuff
Terraforming Mars
Cthulhu's Vault
Boss Monster stuff
Munchkin stuff
Fluxx stuff
Golem Arcana stuff (50% off)
Vikings on Board (50% off)
Fire & Axe (50% off)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
Well, the wouldn't have expected this of a general bookstore like B&N, or most used bookstores, but when I saw that they had rather hard to find board games like Stellar Conquest and Ambush! proudly displayed in their window, in VG condition, I thought it was more of a specialty shop, honestly. It's the marketing that I was objecting to.

Half Price Books sells used items (books, board games, video games, dvds, cds, etc.). That doesn't mean they are experts in all those areas. If you have a title and/or author they can look them up to see if they have a title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:

They check rarity and values of their used items and display things that people might be interested in. Something particularly niche on prominent display might suggest one person on their staff might know something about it. This is a used bookstore. The general staff can tell you what section to find something in and can look up inventory. Knowledge of anything beyond that is going to be based entirely on their personal interests rather than any training.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My local HPB had the new Sid Meier's Civ: New Dawn. 20% already due to being a new title, and with another 20% for the sale it was $32. Not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dooley
United States
South Lebanon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This puts Pandemic Legacy S2 at around $50.

That seems to be a pretty solid price for it, but I haven't looked around that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harris
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization New Dawn was $40 - 20% for $32 plus tax. A great deal. CSI has it for $42.50.

JVKhoury wrote:
They sell new games at 20% off and the 20% off sale stacks (36% off due to discounts being applied separately). This is an especially good deal for FFG/DoW/other Asmodee games that are price protected for online sellers. Some titles to look for that have been in HPB recently:

Pandemic Season 2
Fallout
Civilization New Dawn
Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride Rails and Sails
Kingdomino
Catan stuff
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game stuff
Pathfinder RPG stuff
Terraforming Mars
Cthulhu's Vault
Boss Monster stuff
Munchkin stuff
Fluxx stuff
Golem Arcana stuff (50% off)
Vikings on Board (50% off)
Fire & Axe (50% off)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.