Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dust 1947» Forums » General

Subject: Are the Fantasy Flight Campaign Expansions still valid with Dust 1947? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nevin Beaver
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I know that the terrain stuff and heroes that come with the expansions are still usable but are the missions themselves? I bought Operation Hades and Operation Cyclone on clearance, mostly for the heroes, but I was wondering if the missions themselves were still viable.

Thanks!

Nevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should be. Dust Studios just released new two-player Zverograd starter sets, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Siegel
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are with some tweaks to the AP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
They aren't going to work well out of the box. A lot of changes have been made to the game system since those campaigns were made. While sure, there isn't anything technically stopping you from using the new rules and unit cards for the old missions, you'll probably find that the missions don't play very well at least some of the time.

The point cost for units have changed, hence the previous comment about needing to change the AP.

Another big change has been the movement speed of units. Some of the very early scenarios are built around units getting around much slower than they do now.

You'll also find that abilities for units have changed, like no more "jump jets" for walkers anymore. Besides affecting balance, these changes can potentially affect how satisfying missions are to play.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. By all means, try it out, and if you tweak some of the missions to work better with the newer version of the game, let us know! Previous work has been done in the past to modify some of those earlier missions for the newer rules if you look for the free "Dust Chronicles" magazine that you can download as a PDF.

I'd love to see all those missions ported since I still have all that older stuff and the only reason I hold onto the old unit cards and rules is in case I want to play those old campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I ran a campaign a while back with some friends using the Dust Tactics version 1 Operations. I remember reducing the point value by 50% which seemed to work for me.

I started a thread for it a while back but I did not get much of a response to it:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1493333/converting-scenario...

Please let us know what ends up working for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.