Hi, I got a new Seafares expansion. So far we always played base game and Helpers of Catan and Frenemies. If we combine them some question occur.

With Frenemies you can get a card which allows you to build a street for free (Shovels). Can I use this also to build a ship for free as well?

The FAQ says for Road Building development cards I'm allowed to build ships as well.
So I would tend to say it's also allowed to build ships as well with Shovels.

But if this is allowed, can Louis and William from Helpers of Catan also do there abilities with ships? (replacing street, replacing street resource)

And can I use Lin (replace Robber to desert) if the map has no desert?
Also asked there:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27800041#27800041
(or what are your opinions about replacing the pirate?, also in link above)

Thanks for reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When there is no special advantage or helper for ship building, an advantage for building roads can be used to build ships (e.g. 2 ships or 1 ship and 1 road).
When there is no desert, an advange to move the robber to the desert can be used to place the robber beside the board, where he starts the game.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
FAQ Editor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
RedPiranha wrote:
When there is no special advantage or helper for ship building, an advantage for building roads can be used to build ships (e.g. 2 ships or 1 ship and 1 road).
When there is no desert, an advange to move the robber to the desert can be used to place the robber beside the board, where he starts the game.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
FAQ Editor

You posted here before that William doesn't build ships. Is this a change in the ruling, or is this a special case that I do not understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've discussed the issue again with Klaus Teuber and this is to be said:

* Louis offers the possibility to move an "open" road, which can be done with "open" ships even without Louis. Therefore Louis cannot be used to move "open" ships.
* The rule for William will be changed in the next edition of the helpers and then he can also be used to use another resource instead of lumber or wool to build a ship. Therefore you can use William even in the current edition - when your game partners agree - in this way when playing the Seafarers.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.