4 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: sniper riffle and shotgun to attack other survivors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teresa Ray

Texas
msg tools
The problem arose when a player went to attack another player with a sniper riffle in another location. The attacker was wanting to take one damage automaticly but not take a card as obviously the defender was in another area and it wouldnt make logical sense. Defender then said, the card said "you may attack a zombie" and never mentioned attacking a survivor. the disagreement was 2 to 1 however gameplay was stopped. In a previous game sniper riffle was used for same objective. As it is the game play does not give bonus points to attacking a survivor with a weapon and requires that the attacker roll a die and be able to hit(get past the attack skill of survivor with of course soldier having more skill then an old woman). The argument boils down to one player insist that weapons can only be used on zombies (despite grenade stating zombies and players roll) and survivors are only allowed to attack other players with their hand to hand combat skill.(which if that is the case fine,but were it to have some sort of realism weapons should be able to be used) While I recognize the game mechanics are lacking when it comes to player defense as most thought was put into defending against zombies (plus you dont want the game too hard and want to give players chances to heal and survive) but should not logically you be able to use weapons against people as if this were a real life scenario that would obviously be able to happen. Same logic should be applied to shotgun as you should be able to hit more than one survivor if you attack them in the same area as well as if an attack is done with sniper riffle or shotgun in same area taking an item should be allowed. This issue is fundamental for us and has halted game play and further game play.
I am going to search in this forum and try to find the answer but my guess is since it didnt pick up in the search engine then it hasnt been asked so any help with this would be wonderful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/16585840#16585840
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teresa Ray

Texas
msg tools
Thanks. I just couldnt find it and I was certain it had to have come up before.

Originally we had made house rules and agreed to how guns work but there are times when house rules change depending on if it makes one persons game harder as opposed to easier but to be fair that house rule was forgotten by the one voting against it. We will discuss it all and bring it up for a new vote *before* another game is started.

The shooting was not done in an original game concept but perhaps a modified game play that may or may not even supposed to be played(our first time with warring colonies but we knew it getting into it and were ok with testing it) as the defender in the above description had wanted to play a new version without enough players so instead of each player playing double characters we agreed to modified the game to play original game with only one colony and a lone wolf den getting rid of all cards that was designed for warring colonies specifically. The lone wolf stole a sniper riffle from the colony at the police station and ran off to another location and filled up all slots so we couldn't move closer to attack, so the next turn we found a different sniper riffle and wanted to at the very least send a warning shot to this rogue player to stop stealing our shit or we will kill you. As far as the colony was seeing the lone wolf was not trusted on top of that we haven't read the lone wolf cards and have no clue what the lone wolf was doing. The lone wolf also had a sniper riffle and character who was proficient so it wasnt like every player didnt have the threat of getting sniped. I personally didnt want my characters to die by sniper but I dont want to die by zombie either and that is the nature of the game.

Looking at it as humans will be more careful where zombies wont and can make decisions such as not being in line of sight make sense and was something i didnt think about. So a sniper should have to roll under the combat modifier of the character to see if they can be hit or not. Same applied to the shotgun you could see it strapped on the back and know that it can be fired and stay near to cover then take cover as quickly as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Thomas
msg tools
This is actually really simple.

Survivors won't killspree other survivors for the simple fact it would out them as a betrayer. If you suspected someone was doing ill by the colony you would vote to exile them - not kill them without vote and even IF they were guilty - you too should be exiled too for being so brash.

You lose one morale for each survivor killed which requires an action die to do in the first place.

Betrayer objectives are more than just "morale == 0" and so they would lose the game too.

SO in short - Page 8 - The person needs to be at the same location.

The Tactical Rifle is a SINGLE shot equip item - you can't KEEP using it as an attack it says so on the card its one shot per round.
The "story" explanation of this would be it shoots a Zombie "outside" the locations since Zombies gather at the entrances of buildings and since you are sniping you don't have a good enough line of sight to fire a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.