Hide
5 Posts

Lords of Hellas» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Solo Campaign Mode - Thirsty Run Through rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Blake
msg tools
Well, I was simply overjoyed to get this before Christmas. Today I had the chance to go through the solo mode and try out the rules. Hopefully this will help you get off to a quick start and encourage you that you were right to kickstarter this game. It is particularly good news for us solo gamers because...

Awaken Realms have done an excellent job of caring for us. We have our own rule book and the reverse side of the board is full solo mode. Thank you so much! I bought the game loving the theme but not expecting much from the solo variant. I am very pleasantly surprised. Here is the blurb.

Firstly, you need to set up the board with the only character that you can use - Achilles. Then you match him to the blue army board.

Achilles spawns with two hoplites. It is the hippies who help you to take over new areas.

The enemy spawns at the top of the board and runs on a movement track to complete its objective. This mechanic reminds me of The Dawn Of The Zeds, where each turn sends the enemy closer to you town centre and victory. No bad thing! :-)

Then monsters are spawned. In the solo game their activation involves moving close to the nearest monument. These monuments are where you can boost your stats. This is vital as to complete the quests which spawn you have a distinct advantage if your stats are raised.

So in summary, the human enemies are matching towards victory. The monsters are trying to destroy your hero buffs. You army can't do very much unless you address these buffs.

Let's see what happened in the game:

Firstly the Chimera spawned on my starting location:

That meant that I had little choice but to "hunt" it. I'll write more about that tomorrow morning :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Świerkot
Poland
flag msg tools
Looking forward to more report on how it went!

We are really proud of solo mode, it took us a lot of effort, but I think we got into this area, where it is really hard to win but not impossible

Once you will beat Persian empire you definitely are ready for second variant of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a Hydra not a Chimera. It's a big difference, when the Chimera is literally one of the easiest monsters to defeat and Hydra is one of the toughest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M_swierkot wrote:
Looking forward to more report on how it went!

We are really proud of solo mode, it took us a lot of effort, but I think we got into this area, where it is really hard to win but not impossible

Once you will beat Persian empire you definitely are ready for second variant of the game

I had no idea this had a solo mode! I would have been all over this Kickstarter had I known it existed. I have no idea how this flew under my radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too big on solo games, but I gave this a try and it was actually quite enjoyable. I love the "campaign" aspect of it and it really does feel like the story unravels as you continue and you can feel the imminent doom approaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.