Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question with spoilers for Last Jedi rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
No really.... this questions could be considered to have a spoiler for Last Jedi

Can I really destroy a capital ship by jumping to hyperspace into the middle of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
No really.... this questions could be considered to have a spoiler for Last Jedi

Can I really destroy a capital ship by jumping to hyperspace into the middle of it?

Hell, if you have the Force as your ally (and Trust it), you can destroy an entire battle station with dozens of capital ships onboard, thousands of fighters, and millions of men...using a single Starfighter and pair of proton torpedoes.

Don't read what the heroes do one time, in one movie, as a universally true constant.

(Also you'll note it didn't even destroy the ship, just cut the wing off. They still had plenty of fight scenes on the ship left to go, and launched a ground assault from the fleet besides. So...'mission kill', sure, but not destroyed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That movie.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
lochmoigh wrote:
That movie.... shake

...was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Knight
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paradoxes wrote:
lochmoigh wrote:
That movie.... shake

...was a lot of fun.

Had a lot of things that didn't make sense.

Yes, I know it's fantasy. Yes, I know its a movie.

but there were a lot of things that bothered me.

But yes, it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're going to get into "deep thought" territory on this (which a lot of people got into in order to get torqued about stuff that happened in the Last Jedi, and forgot similar stuff that happened in previous movies [Leia in outer space]}, then it depends on how far ships travel in "real space" before entering hyperspace.

If you figure the Raddus busted through the FO ship before entering hyperspace, then yes, a hyper-fast object ripping through a ship can cause a bunch of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
If we're going to get into "deep thought" territory on this (which a lot of people got into in order to get torqued about stuff that happened in the Last Jedi, and forgot similar stuff that happened in previous movies [Leia in outer space]}, then it depends on how far ships travel in "real space" before entering hyperspace.

If you figure the Raddus busted through the FO ship before entering hyperspace, then yes, a hyper-fast object ripping through a ship can cause a bunch of damage.

It could potentially have been a consequence of running out of fuel IN hyperspace (essentially all the fuel had been removed from the ship) - i.e., catastrophic reentry into normal space. I got the distinct impression that the ship broke up something like a shotgun shell BEFORE it impacted, but I'd need to watch the scene a few more times (at least) to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's another possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, if that is possible, why don't we have hyperspace torpedoes?

The problem with creating unique methods of attack is explaining why they don't always use that. Star Trek the Next Generation faced that problem as they kept inventing new tech to defeat something, then never using it again.

The rebel in me would be strapping hyperspace engines onto asteroids and decimating any capital ship in range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne Engineer wrote:

The problem with creating unique methods of attack is explaining why they don't always use that. Star Trek the Next Generation faced that problem as they kept inventing new tech to defeat something, then never using it again.

The rebel in me would be strapping hyperspace engines onto asteroids and decimating any capital ship in range.

You know why they don't? Because they don't.

They don't normally ram capital ships into each other as a battle tactic and nav computers don't like to suicide ram their vessels into large objects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne Engineer wrote:

Since General Leia apparently forgot the Rebels/Resistance/Republic used to have bombers capable of launching bombs horizontally instead of needing to fly over their target and "drop" them (with some kind of assist, since there's no gravity), they may have forgotten about hyperspace torpedoes, too, hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Airborne Engineer wrote:

You know why they don't? Because they don't.

They don't normally ram capital ships into each other as a battle tactic and nav computers don't like to suicide ram their vessels into large objects

That's not really a answer is it. It would be a standard weapon, especially the Empire, The rebels wold probably be cool with it as well. Scum and villany would definitely use it. Who cares what nav computers want? you could cannibalize whatever in a regular torpedo and strap a engine and hyperspace doo hicky to a asteroid and you haeve a pretty awful weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Connaughton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Airborne Engineer wrote:

I answer/justify the answer to it this way: I ran a Star Wars RPG campaign for 5 years, and played in a few others. No one ever came up with this idea during all that time with plenty of space battles. So not so far fetched that its rare for anyone to do this, or that we don't see it happen that often in the little space/corner we've seen of the Star Wars universe. Plus, we've never see it in any other Star Wars movie either, so the idea must be pretty unique.
That is my head canon anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.