Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my first play of this in and WOW this really is a great variant on this classic game.

I hadn't played COB for a while and was a little rusty. I am I guess a veteran of around 100 plays. My teammate was my partner who has probably 30 games under her belt. We played my partner's brother and his wife, who I think have around 10 games each to their name (we introduced them to this classic).

We decided to play the more basic side of the boards, rather than the more complex, blank space side, although I'd like to give that a try soon too.

First things first, do not think this is going to be over in 90-120 minutes. We had an over three hour marathon. Both sides had moments of AP but I wouldn't say it was crippling at any point. The reality is you need to discuss certain moves with your partner and this can take a little time. Then you have the little issue of being overheard and countered by the other team. Fair to say there was a lot of whispering, hand signals and discrete pointing going on!

The game play itself is very familiar to any COB fan. Knowing which tiles to put in the common docks and which to keep to yourself is tricky and will take some time to master I think. Another interesting factor was how quickly the other team could pull the rug out from under your plans. You could feel a long way ahead for say the Castles first to complete bonus, only to have that torn away from you between your last turn and your partner's next.

We went down the like animals and shipping routes with a minor focus on building, while our opponents went down the mine money engine, building and shipping routes. Neither side heavily pursued technology tiles, although there was a little flurry in the final couple of rounds on the end game bonus tiles.

In the end I felt our opponents outplayed us with a really strong money engine and building strategy. I felt we made a couple of poor choices in the final round, which I could see immediately after the move. I'll put that down to my rustiness...

Finally, after three hours we tallied the scores.

Our base score was 361 to their 354. With end game bonuses and those little extras the final score was us 422 to their 420. Incredibly tight.

In the last couple of moves I noticed our opponents bought a couple of tiles from the black market. I couldn't really see why and they ended up stuck in their dock. I guess we all knew it was tight and were scrambling a little. In the end it probably cost them the game I think.

We walked away satisfied and tired, it was after midnight and we were spent!

Hats off to you Mr Feld. I won't say the game is in any way stale but after 100 or so plays it had been resting quietly for a while with me. I think its almosr unjust to say this breathed new life into the game as such, to me it breathed a different life into it all together!

As mini expansions go, I can't imagine anything much better than this. Now, I wonder if I can find anyone to play the complex side against us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I had no idea this existed until now. Hopefully it shows up in the store at some point.

Do you think this would work with 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this great play experience, that is awesome to hear.

ChrsH81 wrote:
Awesome! I had no idea this existed until now. Hopefully it shows up in the store at some point.

It should work with two players, each playing one double-board with 4 dice. That means each player is playing for 2 players. You just need to make sure to not get too confused with everything that is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Honey
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
Thanks for sharing this great play experience, that is awesome to hear.

ChrsH81 wrote:

It should work with two players, each playing one double-board with 4 dice. That means each player is playing for 2 players. You just need to make sure to not get too confused with everything that is going on.

Completely agree with the above. The difficulty would be not getting confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Young
United States
Frankfort
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played this tonight as a 2 player game! Wow, it was a great time and wasn’t too hard to adapt.we had a couple of turn order confusion moments, but overall the diffent dice colors keep it pretty tidy, and there is normal lead switches anyways so we are already used to monitoring that. The points difference was only 5 points, so it was a very tense game. Try it out. It was awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.