Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Octagonal Gaming Table Pros and Cons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lindsey Anguiano
msg tools
I'm trying to get a response from someone who owns an octagonal gaming table who knows first hand what the pros and cons are. I'm interested in octagonal because I like the idea of everyone being equidistant from the board as opposed to rectangular. The only concern I have is if, when a large board is laid out, the two people on the long part of the board won't have enough room for a player area. Also, what would be the ideal specs of it? The other table I'm looking into is a square table that sits two on each side so you still get 8 players. So just trying to pick the brain of someone who owns an octagonal table who loves it or maybe wished they would have gone with something else and their reasoning behind that. Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered a round table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Anguiano
msg tools
Kinda. I like the idea of building in component holders into the table (we want to build our own table) so to me round seems harder to do that with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot of help, as it's my buddy that owns it, but I would caution against an octagon for 8 players. If there 4/5 people, or you play cards or games with smaller components, it could be fine.

I would estimate each axis is 48 inches, which is similar to our dining room table, but the "personal space" before each player seems much smaller on the octagon. The trapezoid shape is restricted by the length of the top edge, some games can fit parts into the triangular sides, but in practice you end up with maybe a 6x8 space for a player mat and parts. This is fine for many games, but too small for others (Eclipse as an example).

Additionally, the placement of the legs can be tricky. You can do a single pillar in the middle, but then you need to add feet and horizontal support for the playing surface to keep things sturdy. The easier construction techniques would be 4 legs near the middle of 4 edges (like a square table), but these seats become less desirable. I suspect you could make a bigger table (maybe 60 inch per axis), and pull the legs in somewhat, but then you hit issues with the surface size (most sheets are 48 inches wide). You could still make it, for example with 4 fan shapes, but it would be a lot trickier to cut and align.

My advice would be to make a octagonal design with masking tape on your floor, and set up likely situations with your favorite games and player counts. If you usually play poker with 8 and Ticket to Ride with 3, they should fit and an octagon would be a beautiful centerpiece. If you like Twilight Imperium with 6-8, you would probably have trouble giving each player room for their own board and the ability to reach the edges of the play area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Anguiano
msg tools
Thank you so much for your input! That was very helpful. I might lean towards the 4x4 square now as that might be more universally fitting for most games also with the perk of being easier to build. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To put the thought back in your head, here's how someone else did it last year.

Octagon gaming table top

It looks like they have a 48 inch surface, with maybe a 4-6 inch raised edge for elbows or components (about 60 inch total diameter). They have Ticket to ride set up, and it would handle 5 players well. They also bought a premade center post, though their mount looks like it trades some stability for the ability to store the game. You might want to contact the user for their thoughts.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Anguiano
msg tools
I do like that a lot too! Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give me some things to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
This is one I was looking at... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8IB0KS?tag=article-boardgamege... Going to be awhile before I can save up/justify that amount of money for that specific purpose though. Also need to work something else out before I can even get around to dedicating a room as a "game room"

Here's another option I have "wishlisted" as well https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCEGJM0?tag=article-boardgamege... Gives the option of square or round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a pretty standard octogonal gaming table for a number of years, but I got rid of it & switched to a rectangle table.

Even with 8 sides, you can’t actually fit 8 people around it without seriously getting into each other’s space.

Also, as you observed a large board in the midst of the octagon is going to leave very different amounts of table space available to the players.

Lastly, my largest game (but one of my favorites) just wouldn’t fit at all.

I would definitely recommend either a solid large square or a wide rectangle that doesn’t taper down into rounded ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be too "beside" each other? (i.e. view card hands inadvertently even just through routine interaction/conversation/looking at other people?

Same with a round table depending on how close to each other you are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.