Keith Howe
msg tools
So I got the 2 expansions for the original game for Xmas and had 9 people for the Warring Colonies. Yes we had the Lone Wolf.

1.The biggest thing for me is I never really felt like I knew what the other team was doing. There is just too much going on. When it's your turn you really have to move quick to get in your actions before the timer is up. It was almost like we had 2 completely different games going on at the same time.
2.The crossroad cards while essential to the base games, felt like it just added time to the game. The sporadic nature of the game didn't lend itself to using the cards. And the new cards, although labeled as adult content, were over the top in a bad way. I was embarrassed as the owner of these games in front of my friends. Yes I know they can (and will) get pulled. I'm all for mature content, but it's like the mature content was written by isolated teenage boys. Very immature.
3.The instruction manual as poor, they really need a video to go over this in more detail.
4.And I know I've seen this mentioned before but they really need to have different colored bases, we never knew which team was in which room. This again added to the disconnection I felt while playing.
5.The random cards, while kinda neat, really just mess up the percentages when you are looking for loot so they didn't add anything new to the game. Would have been more interesting if you had a building with random loot, rather than messing up the normal rooms.
6.I didn't really like any of the new survivors either, nothing special there.

Now I've only played one game, and maybe mistakes were made, but there was no way for me to oversee the entire game. It was hard enough keeping my team on the right path. Warring colonies is a completely different game is the bottom line. You simply use the pieces of the other 2 games. I love how thematic the base games are, and that crisis is a big deal every round. In WC the crisis isn't a big deal. It's very much an after thought. There is no immersion, I guess that's my biggest gripe. And if I had got some new cool survivors or guns, etc then I would say it would be worth the purchase. As it stands, I'm actually quite down on the game and wouldn't recommend it. As I play it more, if I find it changes I'll repost but for now, buy with caution. You aren't buying an expansion, you are buying a different type of game all together.

For those who enjoy this more than me, what did I miss? Or is my experience more of the norm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought, you should only start the timer after one player finished their turn. When we played the timer running out rarely came into play because most of the time when one player was done the other had at most one action or so left to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think not really knowing what the other colony is up to is part of the idea. That said I had a similar meh esperience with this expansion. I have said this in some other thread, but I agree the crossroads cards don't seem to fit in quite the same fluid way that they did in the base game. Also we found WC much more random an experience than DoW and TLN, and were unable to effectively strategise.

We are probably going to stick to playing DoW+TLN, I can see WC gathering dust.

That said, not all is lost. We actually found the random items (and new crises) to be a nice addition to the base game(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.