Grant F.
msg tools
I noticed how much more I paid to have games when they are just released as opposed to waiting for major sales like Black Friday and other days.

If I were super patient and smart, I would wait to only buy games on sale days. Having said this, not all great games are for sale during sale events except for those retailers than sell across their entire inventory as a set discount.

Do you only buy at sale prices or do you have a mix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally wait for sales/daily deals on all game purchases at this point.

I've got plenty of great games to play in the mean time. There's nothing that I have to have RIGHT NOW, so why pay for it? Almost everything ends up in a sale at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Friday is a crap shoot unless you do something like Cardhaus's 10% off everything. My largest purchases have come on BF, but I spend far more outside of it. with online pricing and membership discounts, I don't tend to sweat sales. Honestly, if you need a sale to convince you to get a game, it likely wasn't worth a purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
I guess I can wait for any game to be on sale. Sometimes some games are hard to get on sale or otherwise. so I just buy when the price seems right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
Lass mich!
badge
Geh weg!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually wait for a "best price" = about 20 % of the average retail.

With the exception being rightnow Stonemaier games and Chip Theory games.
These I'll normally get right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy them when I want them. I don't usually wait for sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always wait for a game I want to go on sale. I don't mind being patient and they almost always go on sale, but not necessarily on Black Friday. In fact this BF was kind of a bummer board game wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not hyperbowling when I say I buy 95% of my games in thrift shops. It helps I'm suspicious of cults, not least the cult of the new. There's about a 4 year lag on my acquisitions, and I don't get to choose what I get, but I'm ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll generally try to buy anything I get on sale, or if it's going to be hot and sell out, I'll buy multiples, make a profit on the extras, and it's like a sale.

But game stores sell things at black friday level sale prices all year round when they have sales. So it's not that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eh, if I see something I want in the hot deals forum, I might make a sale purchase, but otherwise I usually buy at retail at my FLGS or Amazon/CSI at their regular prices. I justify this for the following reasons:

- Life is short, and I want to play the games I want to play, now. It helps that there aren't many games that I want to play, so I'm not wasting gobs of money by spending a little extra to get it right away.

- The games I want are rarely on sale, and often go OOP for long stretches. For example, I ordered Antiquity directly from Splotter this year because I know it might be a decade before it's printed again.

- In addition to being able to get what I want right away, I purchase from my FLGS (usually retail, though I get a loyalty discount) as a community service. They are good people and I want them to stay in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends, so my purchases are made during sales and at other times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that very rarely do the games I want go on sale. If they ever do, it's a loooong time after I want them. I don't see a point in trying to wait for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely buy on sales now. I know what I like so it's less of a gamble. Retailers set a price for me to gamble that I like the game. I decide if that price is worth the risk. Now my risk is lower so my payment can be higher for the guaranteed gratification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in the UK, I check the Asmodee release sheet each Friday and order the games I want from my local store on Saturday. As a member of the local games group I do get a 10% discount, but I buy "now", I don't wait for sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games fairly regularly throughout the year. I don't wait for sales (although, if a game goes on sale and it's in my wishlist I will often jump on it). I should probably be more patient because games occasionally go on sale within 2 or 3 weeks after I purchase them (recently, Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I buy games fairly regularly throughout the year. I don't wait for sales (although, if a game goes on sale and it's in my wishlist I will often jump on it). I should probably be more patient because games occasionally go on sale within 2 or 3 weeks after I purchase them (recently, Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)).

Always a crapshoot around the holiday season. Do you take a chance and wait for a sale, or buy it in case it happens to go out of stock quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
Bruiser419 wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Always a crapshoot around the holiday season. Do you take a chance and wait for a sale, or buy it in case it happens to go out of stock quickly.

I hedge my bets and buy some but not others that are more in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
- Life is short, and I want to play the games I want to play, now. It helps that there aren't many games that I want to play, so I'm not wasting gobs of money by spending a little extra to get it right away.

- The games I want are rarely on sale, and often go OOP for long stretches. For example, I ordered Antiquity directly from Splotter this year because I know it might be a decade before it's printed again.

I sort of go by these rules as well.

It helps that I am too busy to keep up with the latest and greatest. I often find that when I get around to buy a game it is either on sale somewhere or out of stock everywhere. This combination means that I look less at the price when making the purchase decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:

Though, I got multiple copies of roads and boats, fcm, indonesia, and tgz on sales . . . (and antiquity will be too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never worry about sales. I do most of my game buying at the UKGE each year. In between I sometimes use the bookshop across the street from work where I get a 10% discount for working for a Cambridge college. I'm trying to keep the number of purchases down, though, so I'm trying to stick to my annual spree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchase all my games in days that end in Y. Sales are a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games I wait for a sale or if I can find it used, but I've learned the hard way to just buy some games as soon as they go up for sale because otherwise they'll go OOP. It also helps that I have a permanent 10% discount at my FLGS so a sale wouldn't really make that much of a difference, at least here in Sweden where games rarely drop in price very much, even on sale.

I've never bought a computer game full price and that used to be my major hobby before I found board games. However the physical nature of board games makes it much more punishing on patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm one of those pious people that boycott Black Friday and don't buy anything that day (barring groceries of course). Having seen televised the vulgar stampedes in bricks and motar stores with people snatching things from fellow customers I don't want any part of it. Even online, where it's much more civilised with just a mouse click and doesn't involve pushing and shoving another person, I will refrain from buying if I see a Black Friday banner.

Other sales seem to pass me by. But if I want something I'll just buy it regardless (see, still a consumer at heart) instead of waiting around for it to be discounted in some sale event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm like a spider. If a game falls into my web I grab it. But mostly I just wait for them to come to me. Gloomhaven is going to be the first game I went out of my way to get in a very long time.

Pete (considers the Hot Deals forum, his local Goodwill and other thrift shops, and several live game auctions a part of his web)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coe
United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
flag msg tools
I like cats...
badge
...but I usually can't finish a whole one.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a "major gaming purchase?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.