Russell Joplin Jr
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I'm planning on using KDM manager. The gear cards are in a binder using 12 slot coin protectors.

I'm trying to make the learning phase as smooth as possible, as this is my first campaign as well. What do you find helpful when runninga campaign?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i like to scan and print out the intimacy table, severe wounds table and the age story event. Most used in the whole book and its better than thumbing through the rule book every few minutes

also the hunt events table as well, althoguh this takes abit more work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmb

My advice is to play slow and steady. Ask all players to read all cards and story events clearly with their best narrator voice.

We had 1 player that would always half-read rapidly, then try to summarize. I eventually asked him to read it slowly and clearly to us like its a story so we can hear it and understand what's going on. We found it much more enjoyable than (indistinct mumbling), "roll a dice, ok, you lost a survival point".

On story events, start at the very top of the page, and read it out loud from there down. Things like Bold, Insight, Intimacy, have story bits that set the mood. Also, we often forget to nominate someone before we roll. If we read the page first every time, it usually remind us to nominate before rolling.

Each of the Hit Locations has text to read. Stop and read it. If you come across the same card later, read it again.

When you encounter a Mood/Trait that triggers when drawing AI, place a lantern token on top of the AI deck to remind you to do something before you draw AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new player myself who just introduced the game to two likewise new groups, I agree with the comment above about taking your time and reading things slowly and with some character.

I still need to work on all the organizational upgrades (like printing out tables and aids and such), but the key for me was just setting the proper expectation. KDM is such a long game, I didn't want anyone starting out with the wrong idea. The two main points I emphasized were that the creator (Poots) wasn't much for rules-lawyering and mainly wanted people to have fun. This goes against my own natural bias as I am one to try and digest and memorize all rules upfront. I informed everyone that the Prologue itself even tells people to not stress about stuff they don't know yet and just make their best guess. Second, nobody has real ownership of any characters. Yes, we might micromanage a particular character or two during a Showdown, but for the most part we were controlling things from afar and in a communal way. Along those same lines, your favorite character can and probably will die. Suddenly. Maybe due to a random die roll. So don't get attached.

A while back I read a thread where someone likened the game to the original "Clash of Titans" movie. Where Zeus was standing over his little Colosseum model and giving weapons to his dolls (we poor humans). I find that is a good image to give to new players. We drive for a while, but mostly we are like gods nudging our civilization down a particular path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Prepare to die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Penderville
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Put your head between your legs and kiss --oh, wait, you probably want useful advice...

Make sure your group knows that the game is about the settlement, not their individual survivors. Let them know they WILL die, probably unexpectedly, horribly, and violently, but that doesn't have much bearing on actually winning the game. It'll soften the losses a lot, and improve morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThunderGuppy wrote:

Make sure your group knows that the game is about the settlement, not their individual survivors. Let them know they WILL die, probably unexpectedly, horribly, and violently, but that doesn't have much bearing on actually winning the game. It'll soften the losses a lot, and improve morale.

Yeah, this pretty much.
Don't get too attached to individual characters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.