Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Is raiding for livestock a euphemism for slavery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Vikings actually captured livestock when raiding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Slaves were livestock, and Vikings raided for them. So, its a game euphemism to make us blind to their pure evil and instead see them as heroes. Weird.

Imagine if you worked and starved in an effort to hopeful provide for your cold starving family. Then have a bunch of thugs arrive in the dead of night. Who then cut you up leave you for dead, who in front of you rape and kill your wife, who leave then taking your son and daughter for work and rape as slaves.
Gwar!!!
What heros! I too want to imagine i am just like them there cool "Raiders" heroes!

https://en.natmus.dk/historical-knowledge/denmark/prehistori...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So your original question was a purely rhetorical point in order to allow you to wax philosophical about the injustices of the past, and slyly and subtly (sarcasm!) suggest that the Designer and players of this game are whitewashing (or perhaps even approving of) the cruel excesses of History?

Ok, IMO that is weird.

You might perhaps find your time better utilized by tilting at the windmill
of, say: separatism in modern revival Asatru and Odinism
rather than making finger-point noises at boardgames.

Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Livestock, just livestock?
I find it weird that the game calls us livestock and thats ok.
"White" washing and romanticising history is a form of denial of the dark side of our human nature that we very much need to be aware of or it could very well reoccur. It has been less then 75 years ago since "Aryan" Europe was killing, slaving, displacing tens of millions "livestock". It ok to game but not to forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Oh boy, seems like someone is just trying to create some drama. Pretty sure the game refers to livestock as cattle and sheep and not referring to the darker side of things. This is not supposed to be an awareness game or really historical just a fantasy thematic game. Overall just let it go.

5/7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize.
I do understand that it is but a wee abstract game a with a fantasy " Viking Raiders" theme that folks just like to play for fun. I apologize for being rather serious here as I am perhaps too sensitive about about the implications of the current right wing viking propaganda of neo-nazis and the devastating history of the Third Riech's glorifying "Aryns".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
ParanĂ¡
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krsnaji wrote:
I apologize.
I do understand that it is but a wee abstract game a with a fantasy " Viking Raiders" theme that folks just like to play for fun. I apologize for being rather serious here as I am perhaps too sensitive about about the implications of the current right wing viking propaganda of neo-nazis and the devastating history of the Third Riech's glorifying "Aryns".

Man, i understand your concerns, i have these too, but, as you said, it is just a game. And not a right wing propaganda one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.