Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game seems really neat, but spice trading is not very exciting. Maybe they could do an alternate edition with incredible art and a fun theme.

I know I'd be interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
This game seems really neat, but spice trading is not very exciting. Maybe they could do an alternate edition with incredible art and a fun theme.

I know I'd be interested!

For what it's worth, I say enjoy the gameplay. That being said, we aren't producing an alternate art/theme for this one. We had Golem art assets lying around so published those as fan service at GenCon. Just don't expect similar treatment here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like spice trading.

Though I'd rather most games were about fruit farming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine an awesome theme, like something golem based... I would bet the fans would love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to balance this thread a bit, I like the theme and I'm not interested in Golem. I just got Century: Spice Road for Christmas and I'm looking forward to playing it and hopefully getting Eastern Wonders next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also enjoy the East Wonders theme, I'm a big Age of Sail and trade in the Mediterranean aficionado, so I'm looking forward to EW and the third of the series.

But hey, perhaps if golem fans do not need to be negative about this theme, it's much more constructive to ask directly for what they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like the theme, so saying the theme "is" not very exciting is a bit of a stretch. YOU find the theme not too exciting, but many others may actually disagree. And what you find interesting, others may find boring. And no one is right, it's just a preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
Sterling, Town of
CT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it possible reconsider golem edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
Is it possible reconsider golem edition?

Kindly spoken, not really. If we can't market this title internationally, we are limiting our resources to a game that only a few markets would want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any particular reason you don't want to do a Kickstarter? Did the golem version sell that poorly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Any particular reason you don't want to do a Kickstarter? Did the golem version sell that poorly?

Lots of reasons, but it boils down to using our resources as best we can. We are still small and growing. We need to use our resources as best we can can to grow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Century Spice Road but I hate the theme. And yet I don't own the golem version... because I knew it wouldn't be expanded. I really do think this game would do even better with a more exciting theme, but I understand that it's not going to happen anytime soon so we'll all have to make do with this theme.

I think the reason I still think the game is worth it despite the theme is because the gameplay is excellent and the component quality is wonderful. Metal coins, bowls, tarot-sized cards... they make the game such a pleasure to play that I am able to forgive the theme. Azul is similar - there's essentially no theme (although it doesn't really bother me in that one at all), but the gameplay is excellent and the component quality is so amazing that I just love it all the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A golem is, according to Jewish folklore, a clay figure brought to life by magic or supernatural means.

Thus the trouble with a golem theme is that some of us want to avoid religious/supernatural/undead/magic/spiritistic themes.

Personally I like the spice trading theme but I also like the look of the gems in the golem edition.

If only there was a game about trading gems!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Spice Road has been a winner in my circle so bring on the sailing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
FWIW, I did not purchase "Spice" when it first came out. The theme was just "blah" for me.
After watching The Dice Tower "Golem" review, I purchased that edition from Plan B even though I know it is unlikely to ever receive an expansion. Compared to "Spice" I prefer Golem's theme, art, crystals.
Too bad retailers are reluctant to go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Small
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the spice theme.

I've never been attracted to what I will call "fantasy" themes. Some of my friends enjoy fantasy themes or at least don't care one way or the other. But many other friends are like me, and would never buy a game with a golem theme. I support the publisher's decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Sweep the Leg!
mbmbmbmbmb
I join the chorus of those who bought the Golem edition from your web store. I would love to see the expansions at some point. I would at least counter with never say never. Perhaps wait and see how the Golem edition does at retail. I wasn't interested in Spice, but Dice Tower told me about Golem and my group loves it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Song
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Correct, requires Golem edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.