Subject: The "UN Intervention" card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newbie at Twilight Struggle, and I was recently playing my second game against an opponent who's only a little further along the track than I am -- it was perhaps his fourth game. Anyway, we ran into a disagreement about the meaning of the text of Card # 32, "UN Intervention." The text reads,

"Play this card simultaneously with a card containing your opponent's associated event. The Event is canceled, but you may use its Operations value to Conduct Operations. The canceled event card returns to the discard pile."

I read this text (especially the "simultaneously") to indicate that this card is to be used by the Active player as a way to avoid being harmed by having to play a card in his hand that has an Event that strongly favors his opponent -- at the cost, however, of having to burn this card to do so.

My opponent, however, viewed it as something like a "response" card that could be used by the non-active player to cancel the active player's ability to benefit from playing a card that benefits his or her side.

Which interpretation is the correct one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Your opponent is wrong. You are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation is correct.
You play UN Intervention in your action round with another card, also from your hand.
You can also look at the Rulebook's "Extended Example of Play" where UN Intervention is used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurelian123 wrote:
"UN Intervention." The text reads,

"Play this card simultaneously with a card containing your opponent's associated event. The Event is canceled, but you may use its Operations value to Conduct Operations. The canceled event card returns to the discard pile."

I read this text (especially the "simultaneously") to indicate that this card is to be used by the Active player as a way to avoid being harmed by having to play a card in his hand that has an Event that strongly favors his opponent -- at the cost, however, of having to burn this card to do so.

My opponent, however, viewed it as something like a "response" card that could be used by the non-active player to cancel the active player's ability to benefit from playing a card that benefits his or her side.

Which interpretation is the correct one?

Yours. There are no "responses" in TS. When you are the Active Player, you play a card (in some fashion). Some cards allow your opponent to act when you play them, and some remove cards from your opponent's hand when you play them but none are played on an opponent's turn to react to what she did.

UN Intervention allows you to dump an opponent's card and use its Ops value without triggering the event printed on it. The downsides are that it costs you an extra card for that action round (and, thus, means that in many cases you won't have a hold card left over at the end of the turn) and leaves the card in the deck to possibly come back later to bite you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G.

Reisterstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all three of you for your quick responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.