Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We all assumed that you had to discard the telepass if you used it. But no: you can use it over and over again.
How is this balanced with, say, the key, which only allows you to travel through locked corridors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Therrien
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Your move.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you use the telepass you’re not allowed to move again until your next turn because of dizziness. In my group we usually go for the key before the telepass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends on how boot heavy your deck becomes if you have a lot of boots the key is likely better, on the other hand, fewer boots and the telepass starts looking better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping from the depths of the ship to the portal close to the exit seems incredibly more powerful than the key to me.
(Granted, I've only played one game so far...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The telepass teleporters are not very conveniently located, most of them have security checkpoints all around them in addition to taking all your boots when you use them. if you want the high value artifacts and a quick escape, the key is far more valuable.

The abilitiy to use the furthest right turbolift spot is more valuable on it's own, and the key gives many other shortcuts as well.

Often our games end with nobody taking the telepass, it is far from overpowered. In order of value I would say the market items are: key, contraband, telepass, medkit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, guys!
I'll play more and report back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be suffering from group-think with this item. In the amount of time it takes to purchase this item you can be busy hacking the 'easier' locations and getting to the artifacts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game I recently played, I ended up getting the Telepass because both keys were already taken. I was short of money, so had to wait longer before I could buy anything. In this particular game, there was one telepad that was fairly close to the cargo bay. I managed to grab the 25 point artifact by teleporting close to it and then teleporting to the telepad close to the cargo bay. There was a security checkpoint right by the telepad, so one turn to get to the telepad another to get to the check point and then another turn to get to the cargo bay.

I personally didn't think the telepass is broken. It's just a different way to to move around the ship. My route did not use the hyperlift at all. The other two players took a different route that did involve the hyperlift. I cannot say which is better and by how much. I loaded up on boots as well. I would say I had more boots than the others, but they had more credits and had enough much earlier than I. I did end up winning the game as I was able to get out in time and the last player died before reaching the escape pod. The 20-point difference was my margin of victory.

Edit: I meant I didn't think the telepass is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
alluvian wrote:
In order of value I would say the market items are: key, contraband, telepass, medkit

Unless, of course, you're about to die, in which case the medkit can be invaluable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.