GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,805 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

The Great Heartland Hauling Co.» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player a little lackluster? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Long
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
So I played this game for the first time and I gotta say with two players it felt quite stale. Not a lot of player interaction. Im reasonably confident I got the rules and setup correct. Anyone else find this? It was plain old boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jackson
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yes - frankly haven't touched it in over a year for this purpose. Have only played with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Falk
msg tools
rlong007 wrote:
So I played this game for the first time and I gotta say with two players it felt quite stale. Not a lot of player interaction. Im reasonably confident I got the rules and setup correct. Anyone else find this? It was plain old boring.

The majority of the interaction in the game is blocking locations or taking goods the other person wants. With the base setup, just like you, my wife and I have found it's fairly easy to find another place to go that's almost as good.

What we do is use the alternate layouts and/or the road obstacles(road closures, weigh stations, etc. on the opposite side of the cards) to create more bottlenecks and limit options. A single block or commodity steal carries a bit more weight in those situations, because there aren't going to be very good alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jackson
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I agree this would help. I played a few 4 player games - and we had more than enough resources to never have to use 2 cards - I feel it was very straightforward and a race versus any player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rlong007 wrote:

Our games were ultra-special mega boring. The graphic design doesn't help at all. After two or three games I can't see this ever getting played again, especially not when we have something like Bombay on the shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 2 player is boring. There are tons of better 2 player games. Way better at 4 imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have only played this once and it was with 2. We both really enjoyed the game. Lots of tense decisions and playful "you jerk!" moments without it really being attacky. We found a lot to love with the mix of board and goods strategy with card tactics. Can't wait to play with 2 again. Seems like 4 or 5 would be a bit chaotic, but I'll be happy to try that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.