Daniel Richman
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
All right, before I get my head torn off, I'm fully aware both of these games are radically different.

I'm really starting to dive more into board games and have decided to use some extra Christmas money to get a more expensive game. Some of the games I currently own and really enjoy are:

-Betrayal at the House on the Hill
-Betrayal at Baldur's Gate
-Smallworld
-Photosynthesis
-Pandemic Legacy Season 1
-When I was younger, I played and collected the Star Wars Miniatures game

Both of these games seem interesting, but here are my thoughts on each.

Mansions
-Love the theme
-The app looks really slick
-The few miniatures look interesting
-More players, shorter playtime

Rebellion
-LOVE STAR WARS
-150 miniatures makes me drool
-Game board looks amazing
-The 3-4 hour playtime is a big hold up, as I feel like I could get bored/have a hard time finding people who are willing to play for that long.

So, with these things in mind, what would you recommend? This is my first post on BoardGameGeek, so I'm interested to hear what you have to say! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mansions of Madness vs Star Wars Rebellion
Many of the Mansions scenarios will take you the 3-4 hours you'd spend playing Star Wars: Rebellion or more. You have Betrayal, so you already have a game that scratches that horror itch. I'd say, if you can think of at least one person you can get to play SW with and really do love Star Wars, go for Rebellion. It's Star Wars in a box. Yes, it's long, but no more than sitting through any of the movies, really, and each game tells a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you want a game with an app that satisfies both Star Wars and the dungeon crawl feel, look at Imperial Assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Richman
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm looking into Imperial Assault. That one looks like it may be more up my alley and a bit more in the direction of the time commitment I'd like to invest. Now, my biggest concern with this is the plethora of miniature/box expansions? Am I going to get a solid amount of playtime with just the core set? And also, as a huge Boba Fett fan, can I just get the Boba Fett expansion and play with him, or am I going to need to buy the Twin Shadows expansion to utilize him? Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played both multiple times and for me it’s Rebellion and it isn’t close. This coming from someone who loves Lovecraft and just thinks Star Wars is OK. MoM became boring very quickly for me and the app made the game feel like it was on rails with little player agency. It was a) decide where to explore, b) search for items, c) uncover a bad guy and d) roll for consequences. Rinse and repeat. I MUCH prefer Arkham Horror: The Card Game for my Lovecraft fix.

By comparison, Rebellion drips with theme and I’ve never spent a more tense 3-4 hours playing a board game. Every game is different based on the opponent and their tactics and the two sides play very differently. I love Rebellion. It’s a top-5 game for me and I am more of a euro player than ameritrash. I went into Rebellion with low expectations and was blown away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Richman
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses guys! After some further research, I decided on Imperial Assault. Already started painting some figures today, so hopefully the game is as fun as painting. I think I'd try Rebellion next though. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.