10 Posts

Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scratcher help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My Mercenary Alchemist is a filthy Scratch addict. His adopted Alley Cat daughter aids him by sniffing out the stuff in the lowest of dens.

Trouble is I'm not sure if I'm doing the Weakness card correctly. It states:
"When you Rest, if you do not use Scratch during the Map Action Phase, you become Demoralized.
If you are already Demoralized, you are also Poisoned."

Okay cool, so if I don't use Scratch during the Map Action Phase I'll become Demoralized. But when I Recover I remove Demoralized so when will I ever become Poisoned? (except when using Scratch itself, haha what a degenerate drug).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
DeathJester23 wrote:
But when I Recover I remove Demoralized

(Unless you're in a Metaphysical space...)

Maybe I've been playing it wrong, but the way I treat "when you Rest, you become ..." effects is to just not remove the status counter; that way, you're Poisoned the second time you Rest without using scratch. That may not be by the letter of the rules, but I think that's the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is what I have effectively been doing but keep reading the card every few rounds as I feel like something was wrong.

Rest remove counters -> Dont have Scratch, become Demoralized. Already Demoralized, become Poisoned.
So it becomes Demoralized and then Poisoned and then next round Demoralized again... hmm.

Loving the game to death I just want to make sure my shady chem-merc is scratching efficiently. Besides the poisoning, Scratch does allow him to focus and mix together some Smoke and Flash bombs in a single day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
DeathJester23 wrote:
Rest remove counters -> Dont have Scratch, become Demoralized. Already Demoralized, become Poisoned.
So it becomes Demoralized and then Poisoned and then next round Demoralized again... hmm.

Well, I think it's:

Rest, no scratch: Demoralized
Rest again, no scratch: Demoralized + Poisoned
Rest again, no scratch: Demoralized + Poisoned
Rest + scratch: Fatigued + Poisoned (from the scratch)
Rest, no scratch: Demoralized

So, life as a scratcher is rough!

DeathJester23 wrote:
Besides the poisoning, Scratch does allow him to focus and mix together some Smoke and Flash bombs in a single day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cheers Rusty, I agree. I'll roll with this. Thanks for the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the fuck out of here trying to cop! I see what you're doing you fucking scratcher!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi guys, I will add this to the FAQ since it's not abundantly clear;

- when you rest, you first recover, so you would lose any status conditions you have unless you are in a metaph. space.

- if you don't do any scratch during the map action phase, you become demoralized. This triggers at the end of the map action phase if you haven't done any scratch this turn.

- if you were somehow demoralized during the course of the map action phase (because of another weakness, an attack in the market, or doing some other drugs, etc. - there are many ways to become demoralized in this game), then you would already be demoralized at the end of the phase and therefore also become poisoned from withdrawals.

so if you rest on two subsequent turns without doing any scratch, you do not end up poisoned unless something else is going on.

astute players will notice that the cost & effects of maintaining your addiction are actually worse than the withdrawal symptoms, like in real life zombie That being said, getting to do alchemy twice each time you rest in a town is pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up. Its been a hard, hard road for the Merc Alchemist and realistically its been the Alley Cat looking after him rather than the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
cultofmars wrote:
Hi guys, I will add this to the FAQ since it's not abundantly clear;

It's funny--what you describe is exactly what the rules say; I just didn't believe it. So the problem isn't that the rules are unclear; it's that your players are bad people.

EDIT: some of your players are bad people. I would certainly be willing to consider evidence that there is at least one player who is not bad, were someone to present it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
EL CERRITO
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
your way works too, but this game is brutal enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.