Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Richards
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a handful of games that my wife and I don't see ourselves replaying, most of which have only been played only once. Just curious what others do with games outside of giving them to the local thrift store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Sell them to other gamers or game shops usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play them again until I enjoy them!

For real!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I sell them. EBay (if there's an offer on fees) or the BGG geek market. The games usually find a good home, the buyer gets a good price, and I recoup some losses on a dud/ game that wasn't for my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shove them to the back of the cupboard or jam them down the side of the bookcase. It’s fairly similar to how I dispose of dead bodies too
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Math trade!!!!!!
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/218951/math-trade-announcem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sell them for a fair price via gaming Facebook groups or mainly Wallapop, a popular face-to-face buying and selling app in Spain. I guess there may be something similar in pretty much any country...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Try to trade them in a math trade
Step 2: Offer them for free to any of my friends (via facebook)
Step 3: Trash it if still nobody wants it (rare, but does happen)

Except if thought the game was really dreadful, then I just trash it right away and save somebody else from wasting time on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Harper
Switzerland
Baden
Aargau
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally try to sell them via a local facebook games market group or via a free advert site that is local to Switzerland. I do mark stuff for trade etc on here, but have never sold anything this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
mbmbmbmbmb
Play them 2-3 times, keep them around. If in 2-3 weeks it never comes out. Sell it to someone who might enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on if you have children in school. I would recommend offering to start a board game group. I started one with a running session of 1 month. I taught the students some of the games that didn't have lasting power with my family and had a great time enjoying them with others. We had families in on the last meeting day and then did a raffle to help get great games (but not for us) into the hands of families who would appreciate them!

Now we have a board game club that meets weekly and the students are talking about doing "mentoring" with younger kids to bring more people into the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to find them a good home, otherwise they get put in a plastic tote, chuck some silica packets in and duct tape it when it is full. Then it goes into storage or a river depending how bad the games are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Lemonde
Canada
St-Hyacinthe
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.dragonsnocturnes.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark the game as "for trade" in your collection.
After, add games in your collection as "want in trade".
Run the "trade manager" to see if you could realise a trade with somebody else.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
govindk wrote:
Play them 2-3 times, keep them around. If in 2-3 weeks it never comes out. Sell it to someone who might enjoy the game.

2 or 3 weeks? More than half of my games (which I like) haven't been used in several months, and I've got a really small collection. If I had to get rid of everything that isn't played every 2 or 3 weeks I'd have no games at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Keep them around.

In a few years you will likely need to move the box for some reason, realize that you completely forgot you had that game and why it was bad, then try it again.

Sometimes board games can be like blue cheese. You grow older, try it again and find out you missed out on it all those years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S.
Germany
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I sell them. If I know someone I'm sure to enjoy the game I just give it as a present. Especially if they don't have birthday and there are no holidays near. These presents are the best.

But sometimes I find games e.g. in the basement at my parent's house, of which I think nobody can possibly enjoy them. Then I reuse their material for my own game designs.

So before throwing stuff away - think of your game designer friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Seriously, I mark it "For Trade" in my BGG collection and try to find something else I would play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Goodwill... in fact it is that time of the year to take a look through and see if there's anything I want to get rid of now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing I do with everything I own: if I haven’t used it for a couple of years, and am unlikely to in the future, I give it away to someone who needs it or might appreciate it.

However, for crappy/damaged games I am considering an alternative: using the components, box and cards as targets for airgun night at the local range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hopefully, in the future, not buy them.

I have great cardboard guilt about not liking a game that cost me money. This is not to mention the time it took to research the game and then wait for it to arrive. Then add the time to request missing parts or repair things damaged in transit. Add in the cost to the environment, or hassle of resaling the unwanted game and you get the picture.

May we all only pick future winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sometimes I sell them but as shipping consumes time and money I only do so at the occasional conventions I attend. I imagine that a large game club might offer an alternative. Failing that, I usually just gift them to friends or offer them for a nominal fee (like a couple of pints).

These days I'm extremely parsimonious in game purchases. I won't buy anything without researching it extensively but prefer to further play those I already own. This saves me on clutter as well as money. I've bought nothing since 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Quote:
What do you do with games you don't enjoy?

I don't buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkVaati wrote:
govindk wrote:

2 or 3 weeks? More than half of my games (which I like) haven't been used in several months, and I've got a really small collection. If I had to get rid of everything that isn't played every 2 or 3 weeks I'd have no games at all!

I phrased it wrong. If it's a game my wife and I did not enjoy even after 2 plays, then after 2-3 weeks or sometimes a bit more and we just have no interest taking it out then yes, time to give it away - few impulsive purchases. Doesn't happen anymore.
Cause most of our favourites come out very often. Like Concordia, MarcoPolo, etc and recently Glass Road all come out very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
My battery is low and it's getting dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a lot of print n play, so I cannibalize them for pieces/tokens/cards etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Juperdat wrote:
We have a handful of games that my wife and I don't see ourselves replaying, most of which have only been played only once. Just curious what others do with games outside of giving them to the local thrift store.

I buy large game collections, and so get plenty of material I'll never play. I "get rid of them" by:

No-ship math trades at local cons
Sell on BGG Marketplace (with occasional sales on Amazon when games go OOP)
Sell jumbles on eBay
Auction Store at WBC, PrezCon, Congress of Gamers, etc. Conventions
Cannibalize for parts, which I sell for $.10 - $.25 each at my own conventions (my cons draw many game designers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.