Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously... Puerto Rico needs to hold an election and become a state yesterday.

I'll be sending some more money with the start of the new year and encourage people to do likewise.

The Trump Administration has cut the relief force to about a third and has withdrawn leadership turning it over to locals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Puerto Rico became a State, they would have to collect Federal income taxes, and the combined Federal + State income taxes would be the highest in the nation by some distance. It would remove the unique advantages of their territorial status and encourage the flight of productive people from the island.

The best thing the U.S. could do for them is to repeal the Jones act. The best thing that they can do for themselves is to announce restructuring of their public debt and a haircut to bondholders. The natural disaster is a good excuse in that regard and they shouldn't let it go to waste.

They could light a fire under any privately-operated utility companies to restore service by threatening the summary cancellation of utility easements in areas that are still without.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they had two senators, they'd be the target of largess like the states on the right.

Yes- I also agree addressing the Jones act would help them a lot.

But with 3.4 million citizens, they are larger than many states yet have no real representation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congress would also have to recognize PR as a state. Not sure I see the GOP-controlled Congress approving statehood and two for-certain Democrat seats in the Senate any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Yeah, I thought they already voted for statehood, they just don’t have it because Republicans oppose it out of political self-interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So by 2018-2020 then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.