10 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Noob questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We just played our first game of this..... We didnt realise how imortant it is to stay out of range of darth..ouch.

Couple of questions though....

1. Can both actions be spent doing the same thing...we know only heros can attack twice... But can say stormtoopers move twice?

2 Ive just this second watched some you tube replays to help us learn and saw them adding 2 damage after a surge with stormtroopers...i thought the balst surge coukd only push damage onto adjacent models.not be used to add more...going ti check now but thiught i would ask here.

3. We played the starter mission where both sides have to get to amd co.trol a crafts engines for 5vp each turn... Vader just rocked up to the objective and his trooper fan boys changes the markers to coloured so he won in 2 turns as he killed anyone who tried to shoot him...does this sound right?

4. On the objective above..to control the engine marker.... Do we just need a model on or adjacent to it and no enemy model there?

5. We used the most furry of heroes..garahk or something like that.... He seemed to have a special action that allows him to kind of charge into combat so can he move for an action....3 squares.... Then charge for another special action..5 squares which gives him an 8 sq delete non hero attack..ouch..is this right?

Thanks for the help ..and while i am reading up and watching videos to try and learn faster afraid im not finding the rules that clear ..it different to games i normally play so will just be me adjusting to the vibe.

Cheers

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes and no. You can move twice, no problem. But each special action ability can only be used once per activation.

2. Not sure if I read your question correctly cause it is strangely written. Never trust youtube videos for rules questions is the golden rule. Blast damage does not damage the original target. Only those adjacent to the target. That said, are you sure it was blast damage? Stormtroopers do not have blast by default. The surge could be used to add damage to the original target though, but not the once adjacent. Elite ones have a surge for two extra damage.

3. Hard to say without knowing the mission. Could be.

4. Correct

5. Stop drinking, post when sober

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. Non-heroes just cannot Rest or spend both actions for attacks. (Note that all figures are non-heroes in Skirmish.) And each special action can be used only once per activation. (Different special actions can be used though.)

2. Surges can be spent on various things depending on the attacker/weapon.

3. Too short of a description. Sounds like a skirmish mission?

4. See control from the Rules Reference Guide. (A friendly figure on or adjacent and no hostile figures on or adjacent.)

5. Yes. Charge includes move by X spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks gents..ive tidied my post up a little..find it hard to type on my phone..sry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubooga wrote:
Thanks gents..ive tidied my post up a little..find it hard to type on my phone..sry about that.

It sounds like you’re playing skirmish (not campaign), is that correct? Do you understand the difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubooga wrote:
2 Ive just this second watched some you tube replays to help us learn and saw them adding 2 damage after a surge with stormtroopers...i thought the balst surge coukd only push damage onto adjacent models.not be used to add more...going ti check now but thiught i would ask here.

Perhaps they used Heavy Stormtroopers? Elite StormTroopers can only add +2 damage from a surge.
However Elite Heavy Stormtroopers can do a +2 blast for a surge PLUS +2 damage for another surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty difficult to make out what was going on, but it sounds like you're playing Skirmish mode, Mos Eisley Outskirt map (from IA core, back of skirmish rulebook), mission A?

Note: campaign have vastly different rules, I'll assume you were playing Skirmish

1. There's no "hero", everyone can only use 1 out of the 2 actions as an attack action. Note I mentioned "attack action" not "attack", since an "attack action" could contain multiple attacks, see vanilla Darth Vader's Brutality as an example. You can also only special once (so no 2x Order from imperial officer or 2xCharge from Gaarkhan). But double move is perfectly legal

2. Elite Stormtroopers have surge: +2 damage. It's got nothing to do with the keyword "Blast"

3.Sounds about right

4.Correct. "control" just mean "you got someone on or adj to it AND enemy doesn't have a guy on or adj to it (i.e. not contested)"

5. Gaarkhan have speed of 4 so he can move 4 then Charge (move another 4 + attack) for total move 8+attack, but Charge is move 4 not move 5. Also see point #1: Charge is a Special action so Gaarkhan cannot Charge x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricope wrote:
It's pretty difficult to make out what was going on, but it sounds like you're playing Skirmish mode, Mos Eisley Outskirt map (from IA core, back of skirmish rulebook), mission A?

Note: campaign have vastly different rules, I'll assume you were playing Skirmish

1. There's no "hero", everyone can only use 1 out of the 2 actions as an attack action. Note I mentioned "attack action" not "attack", since an "attack action" could contain multiple attacks, see vanilla Darth Vader's Brutality as an example. You can also only special once (so no 2x Order from imperial officer or 2xCharge from Gaarkhan). But double move is perfectly legal

2. Elite Stormtroopers have surge: +2 damage. It's got nothing to do with the keyword "Blast"

3.Sounds about right

4.Correct. "control" just mean "you got someone on or adj to it AND enemy doesn't have a guy on or adj to it (i.e. not contested)"

5. Gaarkhan have speed of 4 so he can move 4 then Charge (move another 4 + attack) for total move 8+attack, but Charge is move 4 not move 5. Also see point #1: Charge is a Special action so Gaarkhan cannot Charge x2

So basically in campaign mode, including the LOTA app, a Hero can use both of their actions to attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:
So basically in campaign mode, including the LOTA app, a Hero can use both of their actions to attack?

Yes. Basically, you have heroes only in the campaign (figures with hero sheets). Non-heroes can only use one of their actions to perform attacks (unless they have Assault). Heroes do not have this restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:

Rules reference guide p.3

A figure can perform the same action multiple times during the same activation except as follows:
- A non-hero figure can use only one of its actions to perform an attack per activation.

So yes, heroes can do multiple attacks per activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.