Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s a Giles card (I don’t have it in front of me right now) that lets you look at the top 3 cards of your deck and take any Watchers or Potential Slayers you find. The card also has a triggered ability to add +1 attack for each previously played “gray” hero. The 1st ability would seem to be intended to feed into the other, but... is there a chance to play the newly acquired heroes before the 2nd ability goes off? It seems not, but I’ve been playing it as if there were because otherwise the card seems dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there's not a window to play any cards in between the steps. I don't have the card in front of me, but I thought it granted an attack bonus for black (tech) heroes, not gray (no class). So unless it picked up Watcher team cards (like Giles), as opposed to Watcher starter cards (just plain Wesley), it wouldn't help you at all.

That's really confusing to have to write out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BINDING FIELD 0+[attack] [Watchers][Knowledge Heroes]

Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Draw all the Watchers and Potential Slayers revealed this way.

[Knowledge Heroes]: You get +1[attack] for each grey Hero you have played this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right, it has a tech trigger for the bonus. Thanks.

So basically, you want to play a lot of copies of this card in a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry in advance for being too lazy to research this myself....

I played the game last night, and came to the same conclusion/question as the OP: how does the timing work (in general) for this sort of thing because it seemed dumb not to be able to benefit from the [Knowledge Heroes] special ability for counting the grey cards you just picked up from the “do what is says” action on the card (which comes first and happens immediately as soon as you “play” the card. When do I count what, so to speak?

TravelSized knows his Legendary stuff, and what he says about the power of BINDING FIELD is in playing multiple copies of that same card (as it often is with Legendary) makes sense to me and was sort of a “d’uh” momement when I saw it written down, so I will go by that because it saves me a lot of time searching the Legendary FAQ and posts.

HOWEVER, the OP/my assumption of what makes sense nags at me, so I need closure:

Please confirm/correct....

My turn, I begin to play:

Step 1. I play (lay down) 1 grey [INITIATIVE SOLDIER] card from my hand:
Attack = 1
Buy = 1
Grey = 1

Step 2. I play (lay down) 1 grey [WATCHERS] card from my hand:
Attack = 1
Buy = 1
Grey = 2

Step 3. I play (lay down) a [KNOWLEDGE HEROES] card with say, 2 attack.
Attack = 3
Buy = 1
Grey = 2

I think this: I could, at that moment, beat a 3 value Villain in Sunnydale, but I don’t because I have just played a [KNOWLEDGE HEROES] card and I have BINDING FIELD card still in my hand that could, thanks to its Special Ability, net me more grey cards (WATCHERS or POTENTIAL SLAYERS) for more attack (not to mention more buy).

Step 4. I play (lay down) [BINDING FIELD]. I follow the “do what is says” text and search the top three cards of my deck. The they are all GREY [POTENTIAL SLAYERS](oh lucky day!). I DRAW them to my hand, per the “do what is says” text. Before I do anything else (like play them) I must first finish the currently played card by resolving the Special Ability text. I have so far played two grey cards, so [BINDING FIELD] is now worth 2 attack.
Attack = 5 (3+2)
Buy = 1
Grey = 2 (still)

Step 4. I play the three [POTENTIAL SLAYERS] cards I just drew.
Attack = 5
Buy = 7 (1+2+2+2)
Grey = 5

Step 5. I play (lay down) a second [BINDING FIELD] card. I follow the “do what is says” text and look at the top 3 cards of my deck. None of them are [WATCHERS] or [POTENTIAL SLAYERS], so I draw nothing to my hand. Like before, I now resolve the Special Ability text. I have now played five grey cards, so this second [BINDING FIELD] is worth 5 attack.
Attack = 10 (5+5)
Buy = 7
Grey = 5

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the fact that you wrote a buy point in step 1, yes it looks good.

Also worth noting that if you had discarded those potential slayers to advance the light, they wouldn't count as played for the Binding Field bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
popmon wrote:
Sorry in advance for being too lazy to research this myself....

I played the game last night, and came to the same conclusion/question as the OP: how does the timing work (in general) for this sort of thing because it seemed dumb not to be able to benefit from the [Knowledge Heroes] special ability for counting the grey cards you just picked up from the “do what is says” action on the card (which comes first and happens immediately as soon as you “play” the card. When do I count what, so to speak?

TravelSized knows his Legendary stuff, and what he says about the power of BINDING FIELD is in playing multiple copies of that same card (as it often is with Legendary) makes sense to me and was sort of a “d’uh” momement when I saw it written down, so I will go by that because it saves me a lot of time searching the Legendary FAQ and posts.

HOWEVER, the OP/my assumption of what makes sense nags at me, so I need closure:

Please confirm/correct....

My turn, I begin to play:

Step 1. I play (lay down) 1 grey [INITIATIVE SOLDIER] card from my hand:
Attack = 1
Buy = 1
Grey = 1

Step 2. I play (lay down) 1 grey [WATCHERS] card from my hand:
Attack = 1
Buy = 1
Grey = 2

Step 3. I play (lay down) a [KNOWLEDGE HEROES] card with say, 2 attack.
Attack = 3
Buy = 1
Grey = 2

I think this: I could, at that moment, beat a 3 value Villain in Sunnydale, but I don’t because I have just played a [KNOWLEDGE HEROES] card and I have BINDING FIELD card still in my hand that could, thanks to its Special Ability, net me more grey cards (WATCHERS or POTENTIAL SLAYERS) for more attack (not to mention more buy).

Step 4. I play (lay down) [BINDING FIELD]. I follow the “do what is says” text and search the top three cards of my deck. The they are all GREY [POTENTIAL SLAYERS](oh lucky day!). I DRAW them to my hand, per the “do what is says” text. Before I do anything else (like play them) I must first finish the currently played card by resolving the Special Ability text. I have so far played two grey cards, so [BINDING FIELD] is now worth 2 attack.
Attack = 5 (3+2)
Buy = 1
Grey = 2 (still)

Step 4. I play the three [POTENTIAL SLAYERS] cards I just drew.
Attack = 5
Buy = 7 (1+2+2+2)
Grey = 5

Step 5. I play (lay down) a second [BINDING FIELD] card. I follow the “do what is says” text and look at the top 3 cards of my deck. None of them are [WATCHERS] or [POTENTIAL SLAYERS], so I draw nothing to my hand. Like before, I now resolve the Special Ability text. I have now played five grey cards, so this second [BINDING FIELD] is worth 5 attack.
Attack = 10 (5+5)
Buy = 7
Grey = 5

Correct?

Yup. You got it, with the exception that TravelSized pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured. I wish it just gave the +1 when it hit the Watchers/Slayers. Without that, the card seems underpowered and too situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
nicklittle wrote:
Yup. You got it, with the exception that TravelSized pointed out.

And the exception that there are two Step 4s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.