First reviews and feedback about UBOOT:

Thoughts on the game by Rahdo:

A full playthrough with Beasts of War:

2-player playthrough:

Solo playthrough:

A preview by Man vs Meeple:

An in-depth game analysis by the Chief from Bonding with Boardgames:

An ex-military naval warfare expert shares his thoughts about UBOOT:
http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2018/01/uboottbg-ki...

A text preview by Tycjan from the Polish blog 'Znad Planszy' (eng. 'From Above the Board'):
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1911917/first-contact-u...

Gameplay and people's reactions after playing the game at ESSEN 2017:

UBOOT: The Board Game is a fully cooperative, real-time tabletop game of WW2 submarine warfare. It allows 1 to 4 players to assume the roles of the Captain, the First Officer, the Navigator, and the Chief Engineer on board of a type VIIC U-boat. The game is enhanced by a companion app, allowing for an unprecedented level of realism, as well as a challenging enemy A.I. which will push your skills to the limit. The action unfolds both on the strategic and the tactical scale, always demanding teamwork, efficient crew management, and quick situation assessment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AF Davis
msg tools
Re: KICKSTARTER OFFICIAL THREAD (launch on 22.01.2018)
Goodie! Looking forward to this. Here's a question: what connection, if any, is there between the board game and the to-be-released sim on Steam of the same name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! Updated the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Heydrich
Germany
flag msg tools
Looking forward to it :-) cool

Some questions you should add (altough I suspect your main text will likely answer them already):

* can I play this with less than 4? or what is the minium number of players? because some of the solo-lovers will ask
* is there a real time element? which there is
* what can I configure in the App? (to be fair, I for once would be very interested in can the real-time element be disabled, aka infinite time for a round)
* is the game's content automatically generated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
And for those uncouth folks who, like me, grew up in the US,
22.01.2018 is the European way of writing 1/22/2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@Vidmaster:

*Yes, you can play the game in solo mode (I will include this question in the FAQ, thanks!)
*yes, there is a real-time element and you cannot turn it off. What you can do, however, is regulate the speed of the game. There is a real-time mode which is almost as slow as the real thing (so there isn't too much time pressure). If you opt for the 'action' mode, though, you will have to think fast (this mode is recommended for more seasoned players and allows you to cut down on play time). Oh, and you can switch between these at any time without pausing the game.
*You will be able to configure custom difficulty levels for each role. Each player will be free to choose 'easy', medium', or 'realistic', raising or lowering the complexity of their challenges in the game (or even removing some altogether). If we have enough time and resources, then we would love to introduce a custom difficulty selection menu where you can turn everything on and off to set the game up just the way you like it. Anyhow, three difficulty levels per role are already in the game and will be fully implemented in the app menu.
*What do you mean by 'automatically'? It works more or less like this: you select a scenario, and the app 'sets up' the map, contacts and mission objectives for you. Mission briefing tells you where to go and what you need to do, but the contacts are generated semi-randomly, so each playthrough differs a lot. The app also generates various events, repair tasks, and messages from HQ to help you in your mission (revealing secondary objectives, warning you of threats, etc.)

Hope this helps

@Lowden025:

Yes, it's the 1st of January 2018 Fortunately, there is not much room for confusion as there are only twelve months
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Muttah wrote:
@Vidmaster:

@Lowden025:

Yes, it's the 1st of January 2018 Fortunately, there is not much room for confusion as there are only twelve months

Unless your first instinct is to read it as 22:01 (ie, 10:01 pm) on 2018.
Which doesn't make any sense, and causes you to go "Oh. Europe", and do the mental adjustments.
When you get to be my age, mental gymnastics are more trying than they used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Liljequist
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...You mean, once you start playing a game...You can't pause or come back to it later? But, have to start and finish the game in one sitting?
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander G.
Germany
Rodgau
Hessen
flag msg tools
63110 Rodgau - Spieler gesucht!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you cooperate with / support the "Dized" App?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
k9mike wrote:
So...You mean, once you start playing a game...You can't pause or come back to it later? But, have to start and finish the game in one sitting?
Mike

You can pause. Eg. you have received a phone call on the device that is running the app.

Pommesgabel91 wrote:
Will you cooperate with / support the "Dized" App?

It's too early to discuss this. For now there are some rules videos, and more will follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borat Sagdiyev
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An important issue arose in another thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27813018#27813018

So... How do you plan to keep the app alive two years from now? Or, in other words, will there be enough funds and resources dedicated to the long-term maintenance of the app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam "Rolling Solo" Smith
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Play or interested in the growing world of solo play? Check out youtube.com/RollingSolo
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it guys! Fantastic that solo play is included. Well thought out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Forlorn yet Hopeful
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere but then again, knowing me I probably missed it. If this has been addressed, I apologize.

Will there be a retail version after the KS campaign and will the pricing be different? If there is a retail version will there be a difference in what you get versus the KS version such as stretch goals, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harzal wrote:
An important issue arose in another thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27813018#27813018

So... How do you plan to keep the app alive two years from now? Or, in other words, will there be enough funds and resources dedicated to the long-term maintenance of the app?

Wow! I've never heard this question asked about any app assisted game before... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
harzal wrote:

Wow! I've never heard this question asked about any app assisted game before... whistle

The app-assisted games were not so numberous a few months ago. But now, with Unlock!, Mansions of Madness V2 and a few others, this potential issue is really critical according to me.
Downward compatibility is less and less offered by successive OS releases, no matter your preference is iOS, Android or any other.

So, if a boardgame playability is tightly linked to any app, the future use of this boardgame is threatened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Looks like a cool concept. I am not really into the idea of my friends and I cooperating with a fantasy nazi war machine and our winning means a win for Hitler and his agenda, etc... Different when it's something in which one player has to play the "bad guys." But, the mechanic and concept otherwise seems fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about flipping of game boards/model and select in APP to allow playing as US submarine crews?

Further to that, two boxes allows one team to play as Axis and the other as Allies in a team vs team game (if there is such thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brund the Decrepit wrote:
Will there be a retail version after the KS campaign and will the pricing be different? If there is a retail version will there be a difference in what you get versus the KS version such as stretch goals, etc?

Our policy will be the same as for Hannibal & Hamilcar - no KS exclusives. KS version = retail version (all KS stretch goals will be included).
You will get a lot of free stuff as a KS backer, but all of this would be available later as expansions for the game. You will also get a nice discount during the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@Alexlyf:

The idea that has been going through our minds was more like 'U-boat vs destroyer' arrrh This could make for quite an interesting cat and mouse PvP gameplay, don't you think?

And yes, if the game proves to be a success, then we will be thinking of releasing a Pacific edition / expansion for sure!

As regards longevity / support issues... Fantasy Flight has set up a digital division and is making apps for its older titles. Uboot is gaining widespread attention, and there are quite a few major publishers dipping their toes in water when it comes to the hybrid game format. It is becoming increasingly clear that this type of board game has its group of enthusiasts and may as well gain a foothold among other board game mediums and genres.

What I am driving at is that UBOOT is not an isolated case, and there will be ways to preserve its digital content for use further down the path (regardless if with, or without the publisher's input).

In summary, there are a few arguments that I think may alleviate at least some of the app-related concerns about UBOOT, and here they are:

1. Arcade games. They are enjoying their second youth long after the hardware and the companies behind them sank into oblivion. If a game is good, there will be enough people interested in keeping it alive - both in the publisher's camp and outside of it.

2. Submarine simulators on the PC. They have an amazing track record in the field of mods, fan-made content, graphics upgrades... You name it, people have done it. The subsim community doesn't let their games die so easily.

3. The software platform. UBOOT has been made with the Android, IoS, and Windows PCs in mind. It is being developed in Unity, and - as someone has already mentioned in another thread - with this configuration, keeping it alive is simply a matter of time and/or money.

4. The company behind the UBOOT brand. If you connect the dots, then you will see that it is a rapidly developing enterprise that enjoys a well-established position in terms of digital content. They have the means, the men, and the know-how required to support their products.

So again, if UBOOT proves to be successful enough to warrant expansions, or even more games down the line (which people are already asking about, like US subs in the Pacific), do you think that we will let the app die easily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickski wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
harzal wrote:

The app-assisted games were not so numberous a few months ago. But now, with Unlock!, Mansions of Madness V2 and a few others, this potential issue is really critical according to me.
Downward compatibility is less and less offered by successive OS releases, no matter your preference is iOS, Android or any other.

So, if a boardgame playability is tightly linked to any app, the future use of this boardgame is threatened.

The same is true for any piece of software you have ever bought. But I assume you don't have a big issue with those do you? Why should board games be magically exempt from this?

It's a shame I can't play Dark Tower without the tower... oh wait, I can because there is a web based solution. If the game is good enough, and there is enough demand, there will be a solution. And much like people that hold onto the original NES to play classic games, you can keep a device with the specific purpose of playing app assisted games.

So your complaint seems like you are just annoyed that board games and digital games are merging in some instances. But there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many games now, you don't have to care about this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickski wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
harzal wrote:

My hybrid computer boardgames of 1981 from Avalon Hill would like to have a word with you

Dniepr River Line, Tanktics, Close Assault were computer assisted boardgames launched 37+ years ago on Ataris, Commodores or Apple 2... All extinct as is the old Avalon Hill...

And they all run just fine on my Windows 10 Tablet/Portable/Desktop (docking station) in Dec 2017...

It is called emulation mode.

Actually these old computer boardgames these days are expensive as hell because of their limited production of BOARD components, but the software ... costs absolutely nothing....

Tldr: Apple never supported anything decent longer than 4 years, Windows emulation mode for games even go back to the 70's ... . I always have to smile when I see an Apple logo of 1981 pop up on my Surface 4 ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamKochel wrote:
Looks like a cool concept. I am not really into the idea of my friends and I cooperating with a fantasy nazi war machine and our winning means a win for Hitler and his agenda, etc... Different when it's something in which one player has to play the "bad guys." But, the mechanic and concept otherwise seems fun.

That's understandable. For what is worth, many of us grew up on pro-allies war movies that ranged from pure propaganda to mostly propaganda in which German and Japanese were cardboard cutouts to be mowed down without mercy. There were occasional attempts to give them more depth such as the commandant in The Great Escape who tries to protect his Allied prisoners from the torturous Gestapo. Or Kelly's Heroes, a satire of WW2 films in which it turns out the crew of the Tiger tank are just as interested in a buck as the Americans. But most of the time in films we get Germans following what I call the Boundless Nazi Depravity trope. That is, if there is ever a WW2 German on screen, he will always chose the most immoral act possible even if it is against common sense or his own interest.

Then came Das Boot which is a real game-changer. It's fully humanized German sailors full of the same hopes, fears, and struggles as anyone else. As the U-boat sinks to the bottom and the big question is will it ever rise again, the viewer completely forgets who they fight for and you pull for their survival because it's the natural thing to do.

Clearly, UBOOT is tapping into that, and that's ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Liljequist
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent reply Bro...
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with simulation apps which are already on the market, it should be possible to play it... but without any comfort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
France
FONSORBES
Haute-Garonne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
Mickski wrote:
Legend5555 wrote:
harzal wrote:

My hybrid computer boardgames of 1981 from Avalon Hill would like to have a word with you

Dniepr River Line, Tanktics, Close Assault were computer assisted boardgames launched 37+ years ago on Ataris, Commodores or Apple 2... All extinct as is the old Avalon Hill...

And they all run just fine on my Windows 10 Tablet/Portable/Desktop (docking station) in Dec 2017...

It is called emulation mode.

Actually these old computer boardgames these days are expensive as hell because of their limited production of BOARD components, but the software ... costs absolutely nothing....

Tldr: Apple never supported anything decent longer than 4 years, Windows emulation mode for games even go back to the 70's ... . I always have to smile when I see an Apple logo of 1981 pop up on my Surface 4 ...

Emulation is a quite good solution for most issues, you're right.

Anyway, I'm happy that my TI99-4A, C64, TO7 and 520ST are still running fine to enjoy using them !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.