8 Posts

Napoleon's Last Gamble» Forums » Rules

Subject: Commander-Officer Command Point Allocation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Rule 5.23 requires a Commander-Officer to spend his first Command point on his own formation. what happens if his formation is not in his command range or even in play? Is the Commander-officer still required to expend the point(s) on his own formation(s)?

In Napoleons' Last Gamble Wellington is commander-Officer of two formations (Reserve and Strategic Reserve) presumably his "second" command point must be spent to place the second formation in command. But again what if one or both are out of command range or not in play. may these command points be spent on other formations/leaders that are in command range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Hans,

Wellington is not a Commander-Officer, he is a Commander (denoted by solid colour on counter - red). Napoleon, Ney & Grouchy are all Commanders too as they are solid blue coloured counters. Bluecher is a Prussian Commander (solid grey).

You may have misunderstood rule 5.2 on Leaders. There are actually 3 types of leaders.

1.Commanders (solid colour on counter).

2.Commander-Officers (white background with army colour at top same as officer counters). They have their rating in the squared parenthesis like so [1]

3.Officers (white background with army colour at top same as commander-officer counters), but their rating is in the curved parenthesis like so (1).

In NLG, there are no Commander-Officer counters. If you have NQ, have a look at the two Victor counters in that set for the difference. He is an officer in some scenarios and a Commander-Officer in others.

There are only Commanders & Officers in NLG, so you do not have to worry about Commander-Officers. Personally, I would have preferred a different title for them because Commander-Officer is a mouthful when speaking of it to your opponent and can also lead to confusion such as yours. Don't know what a preferred alternatve might be, but it has to be better than Commander-Officer.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Page 7 of this article in OSG's free download, WDG may also be of use to you on leaders.

http://files.napoleongames.com/WDM/BinderIV-1.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would interpret the rule literally.

Wellington is a commander [4]. Square brackets and commands up to four officers. There are commanders [2 or higher], commander-officers [1], and officers (any value in parentheses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hansvonstockhausen wrote:
Rule 5.23 requires a Commander-Officer to spend his first Command point on his own formation. what happens if his formation is not in his command range

Almost forgot. Lets get back to your question. One part not answered was the above.

If a Commander-Officer is out of range of his formation, then he is NOT allowed to put other formations in command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Redcap, I understand the three leader categories. Rule 25.18 of the Napoleon's Last Gamble rules set states "Wellington is the Commander-Officer of both the Reserve and Strategic Reserve Corps" - even if the counter may not indicate this.

I did not see anywhere in the rules the line that "If a Commander-Officer is out of range of his formation, then he is NOT allowed to put other formations in command." However that interpretation seems to make sense.
So Wellington has two command points to spend at discretion while the other two may only be used to place the Reserve and Strategic Reserve in command.

Again Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redcap
England
Higham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hansvonstockhausen wrote:
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Redcap, I understand the three leader categories.

Hopefully no umbrage taken. I just added that in case :-)

Your post raised a goodly point that was unable to be answered by using the main rule set. Basically because as a Commander (solid colour counter), making him a Commander-Officer to other formations seemed a demotion.

I contacted KZ by other means for a ruling or fuller explanation because of this issue. And was given the following answer:

"The rule suggests that Wellington can place the WHOLE of Reserve corps into command for the cost of 1 command point"

In effect Hans, that means if Picton & Lamvbert's counters plus the non-led elements of Reserve corps are within 4 hexes of Wellington, he can put the whole lot in command with just 1 CP.(rather than the at least 2 CP's he'd normally have to use). He also went on to say that the following line should be added to 25.18 (which clears up my issue with it and makes it clearer).

"Wellington is not required to place any particular formation in command."

So although he is Commander-Officer to the whole of Reserve Corps, he is not bound under rule 5.23 to distribute a compulsory command point to them. I think 25.18 would have been understood easier had it just said that Wellington can put the whole of Reserve corps in command for 1 CP. Nonetheless, to take the whole thing a step further, the perfect command situation for Wellington in that case and for maximum command distribution in the game would be the following scenario:

The whole of Reserve Corps for 1 CP (if the units and/or leader counters are within 4 hexes of him).

Three other formation leaders that are within 4 hexes for the further 3 CP's

And then 4 other individual counters as per leader command rules on CP.

If he didn't put any of Reserve corps in command, he can instead freely use all 4 of his CP's to place any 4 formations in command he wishes. This is opposed to the compulsory rule of normal Commander-Officers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans von Stockhausen

California
msg tools
I think your summery clears up the issue very nicely :)
Again Thanks for all your effort in helping out those new to the series.

Regards,

Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bahrke
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheMP wrote:
Hi Hans,

In NLG, there are no Commander-Officer counters.

Hi Redcap,
what about Rapp having his rating in the squared parenthesis [1]

Thanks, Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.