1572: The Lost Expedition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Muskets, Down stream, Re-rolls and Modifiers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just finnished the game with a severe loss, struggling to make my way out from a never ending Empire with unfriendly natives – I'm sure most of you have had that experience. The important thing though: I had fun doing it!

Thanks for this game, really sharp. Here are some questions I stumbeld on, wich I can not find on the forum:

Muskets: just to clarify – you either reroll both or none? So I can't save my 5 but reroll my 2, right? They sure are a scarse resource; I found a crate of them before I had used one, and then nothing. But I have only scratched the surface of the game, so I'm sure I'll find more oportunities later on.

Down-stream: When you enter a down stream hex you get +1 for movement progress. Is this only if you are on a river hex and move to an adjacent river hex that is NE, SE or S of the current hex? (I.E folllow the flow) or does it count if you follow non-river hexes that follow parallel to the stream? I would assume not.

Re-rolls: Can I re-roll two dice and after seing that result re-roll two other dice, as long as I don't re-roll the same dice more then once? I have played it as you get to make one re-roll per turn total, and it can contain any number of dice.

Terrain Modifiers: I see the system of movement phase modifers have been simplified in the latest version (a general -1 or +1 instead of afecting individual results such as 6:s = 5). I found this really punishing in my game, was just wondering how you all feel this system is working out for you, compared to the old? And to Mike – really appreciate you seem to answer questions quickly here – what are your sense of it now that it has been out for a while? Could I decide to give the old system a try, or have you made other changes that you feel would make it unbalanced If one went with the old modifier system?

Thanks again for this one, cheers
Rickard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MUSKETS
Correct. Complete reroll. (Although I am likely to change this in order to offer more choice and make a win a little more accessible.)

DOWNSTREAM
You must have moved from a River Hex into another one downstream.

REROLLS
You can reroll as many dice as you want on the Planning Phase, but you can only reroll those dice once.

TERRAIN MODIFIERS
The +1 and -1 modifiers are for the total dice roll instead of each individual die. So a +1 would make a 9 (a rolled 6 and 3) into a 10, while a -1 would make that roll an 8.

--------

Rickard, if you get a chance, would you blind test the game again with the MUSKETS rule I was talking about above and let me know how well that worked?

Cheers!
MH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ogrim Pseudopolis
msg tools
mbmb
I’ll test the ”reroll one or both dice” musket rule on my next playthrough. I like it, since the muskets are scarce anyway. GREAT GAME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks!

I tested the version, but found it unsatisfying for two reasons:

1. Since Muskets are so scarce, I found I actually really only used them when I rolled dangerously low, which inheritely means both dice anyway.

2. I found I rather liked the "all or nothing" thematically. It has an air of desperately shooting towards the brush work, which suits the game better.

However, I do have a suggestion for something I tried out and really liked: a trading mechanic.

This could be a new phase, somewhere around 5 Native Contact or 6 Hunting. It could also be incorporated in phase 5. The text would read something like this:

"Phase X: Trading
When on a hex with a village of any type, you may exchange 1 Musket for 2 Food, or 2 Food for 1 Musket."

And then, either of the following rules for Empires

Alt. 1 (simple): "When in an Empire, you cannot trade."

Alt 2 (complex, but fun): "When in an Empire, you may attempt to trade, but must roll 2d6.
2-4: the trade fails, you loose a conquisador.
5-7: the trade fails, you loose the resource you attempted to trade with.
8: the trade fails, but you keep your resources.
9-12: the trade is a success.

You may use Muskets to reroll your dice."

There could also be a special rule for friendly villages, such as they still trade normally even if within an Empire.

This would have the following benefits, in my opinion:
* Increase rate of meaningful decisions
* Give player more means to mitigate luck on dice rolls, by making Muskets easiser to come by.
* Make the game a bit easier.
* Give Villages a much more interesting role
* Give opportunity for some great and more varied story telling.

Since you'r quite often in an Empire, it won't make it too easy I hope, but of course I leave it to you to consider if it hits the right balance for your game.

Also, perhaps calling it "Ammunition" rather then "Muskets" makes the trades a bit more resonable. Of course, thematically, it's also a question of just how many Muskets was lying around villages in the area at the time, waiting to be traded, but I'm thinking the villagers have found/traded them with other conquisadors ahead of the player.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.