10 Posts

Nuns on the Run» Forums » Rules

Subject: Increase or decrease the noise range blessing card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aijse de Vries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
The other day we were wondering whether you play this blessing card after a dice roll, or you have to decide to play it when you feel like you came dangerously close to a nun. In the latter case it might have been a wasted blessing if you only happen to roll a 1 for example. But you could say that the noise modifier would be applicable for a full round, so on your and on the nuns' noise checks. I am not sure what the official rules are. Can you help me out?

Tldr: Play after dice roll or after movement for full turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HighTibetMountain SG
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Increase or decrease the nose range blessing
I have the same question too. What my gf and I do is to fix it as Deciding before rolling the dice. That will make it more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The text of the Blessing cards mentions:

"Ignore the result of a die roll...".

Thus, we may deduct that someone has to roll a die first. You cannot ignore a result that you don't know yet.

The purpose of this card is to give you a second chance after a bad die-roll, whether it is yours or that of a nun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aijse de Vries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear, but I don't mean the ignore the dice and roll again blessing. I mean the blessing that a novice can use to decrease her noise range, or a guard can use to increase their hearing range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Yep, they left this one unclear.
I think that since the die-roll blessing is meant to allow you to redo a roll after you know you've had a bad result, then the noise blessing was probably intended in the same way. So, after making the roll for noise or listening and you don't get the result you wanted, you could play the blessing and change the range.
It is open for interpretation, though, and you could choose an interpretation that fits your situation. When playing with kids, for example, you could allow them to play the card after, but a better player (adult?) could be required to play it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have always played that guards and novices play that Blessing after each roll, when the novices are figuring out if they have to place a noise token or not. Novices have say "Wait" when they are thinking about using it during the guards-listening phase to ensure that another player doesn't jump the gun and place a noise token down before the roll gets modified. Novices can reveal it even when they wouldn't have had to place a noise token either way, to make the guard player think they are closer than they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aijse de Vries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
@Ryan Keane, I don't think that when you play the noise modifier as a novice it affects the other novices like you describe. My question is only about playing the blessing at the same time as choosing your movement card (e.g. running, walking, sneaking etc) or after a dice roll.
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Aiceman wrote:
@Ryan Keane, I don't think that when you play the noise modifier as a novice it affects the other novices like you describe. My question is only about playing the blessing at the same time as choosing your movement card (e.g. running, walking, sneaking etc) or after a dice roll.
Cheers

Oops, then I may have been playing that wrong, at least sometimes applying one player's played Blessing to reducing a guard's die roll for all novices that turn. Probably novices shouldn't be able to play Blessings during the hearing phase - that's a cleaner method.

This is how I'm going to play it now on:
1. Novices write down movement space on their logs.
2. Novices reveal movement cards.
3. Each novice in turn completes steps 3a-3c.
3a. Roll for making noise.
3b. After seeing the number, the novice may reveal the appropriate Blessing to reroll the die or to reduce her die value by 1.
3c. Place noise token if necessary.
4. Guards select movement and move up to their minimum required distance (I don't do a separate reveal phase - seems pointless).
5. Remove noise tokens.
6. For each guard, the guard player completes steps 6a-6c.
6a. Roll for hearing noise.
6b. After seeing the number, the guard player may reveal the appropriate Blessing to reroll the die or to increase her die value by 1.
6c. Each novice places a noise token if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule, if a text doesn't mention clearly when you may use or not use a card, you may use it at your convenience.

Thus, the Blessing card to increase or decrease the noise range can be used AFTER seeing the result of a die-roll.
From a design perspective, this makes the Blessing card more powerful and useful than the other way round. If you have to use the card before rolling the die, the card can be useless. The purpose of the Blessing card is to give players a one-time advantage.

Have fun chasing each other in the convent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aijse de Vries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thnx for the clarification, we are having lots of fun with this game, especially with seven or eight players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.