Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the upcoming FAQ questions from the Kickstarter thread was:

"-Isn't it another X-Com or Captain sonar? If I own either or both of these, then why should I bother with UBOOT?"

Good question that I eagerly await the answer. I bought X-com amid the howls that an app-dependent board game was the harbinger of the apocalypse of the hobby. Well, three years later and traditional games are still being chugged out at an astonishing rate, so pishaw on that.

But after a few plays I kinda lost interest because it seemed to me all the difficulty and challenge was built into the frantic pace of the game by means of a merciless timer. If you slowed down you quickly discovered a game that was a rather hollow dice-roller.

What's that go to do with UBOOT?

On the "Time Compression" thread Muttah makes this comment:

Quote:
All in all, the compression can be changed 'on the go', and it's easy to adjust the pace to the current situation and/or the preference of the group

So the question I'm interested in, and one that is possibly faq-worthy, is that if a group decides to adjust the pace slower will it detract from the overall experience of the game and if so how much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a question that we have heard many times before, and that's why it has made its way into the FAQ

As for X-com, then I'd rather not comment on the game as such Still, the most common misconception that people have about our game is that UBOOT will play similar to X-com. That, however, is far from true.

For starters, X-com always tells you what you need to do, and your only decision is the degree of commitment. It's like 'yo, it's time to send satellites to the orbit', and the player's decision is simply to decide 'one', 'two', or 'three' within a few seconds. The only decisive factors are remaining money and current priorities.

In UBOOT, you are free to do whatever you wish. You think you need to do some repairs? OK, go ahead, but if there are contacts on the horizon, you'de better get ready for maneuvering before doing anything else. You think it is the right time to treat your wounded? Sure, maybe it is, but did you remember to prepare food for everybody before they got hungry?

Summing it up, each player has to gather, process and interpret information pertaining to their role, and take the initiative whenever they feel that something requires urgent attention. They also need to do that in a timely manner and make themselves heard and understood. But it's not that the app tells you 'you need to dive in 5... 4... 3..., etc.'.

Therefore, slowing down time compression simply gives you a little extra time to strategize. The decisions themselves, however, are rarely obvious, as you have to consider a number of factors that contribute to the U-boat's and the crew's condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Very good answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to hear If you have any more questions about the game, then feel free to ask and I will gladly shed more light on anything that requires a more in-depth explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You say the app will have a pause button. Is the pause temporary, as in it will time out after a short while? Or will it stay paused until you decide to resume the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All options are on the table if you ask me, and I think it would make sense to have them intertwined with difficulty levels (i.e. none or limited pause on 'realistic' with a more lenient approach on 'medium' and 'easy').

Would you say that holds water?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muttah wrote:
All options are on the table if you ask me, and I think it would make sense to have them intertwined with difficulty levels (i.e. none or limited pause on 'realistic' with a more lenient approach on 'medium' and 'easy').

Would you say that holds water?

That would work for me. My main concern with the game would be that if I did not have time to finish because I had to go somewhere, or because some (or the rest) of the players had to leave, the game progress would not be lost. Good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Salwarowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We are also thinking about a game save functionality. Why not allow for a saved game with a few pictures? These could include player panels and the sub (so that you could see how things were).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muttah wrote:
We are also thinking about a game save functionality. Why not allow for a saved game with a few pictures? These could include player panels and the sub (so that you could see how things were).

A save game feature would be awesome! Photos of the players' board status is a great idea too. Of course if that option did not make it into the save game, you could simply take pictures of everything with your phone before having to leave, put the game away etc..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.