Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Williams
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Druids,

I've rummaged through the forums and not seen my question addressed, so please forgive me if I missed it. Does an advancement that refers to itself by name affect all instances of itself on that card? My issue appeared with Mana Storm's Vale Bearer, but it also applies to the base game's Grovetender.

Quote:
For example, if Grovetender and Stag were sleeved together on the same card, Grovetender is considered to have 2 Growth.

But if I happen to put two Grovetenders and Stag on the same card, and Grovetender states: "Ongoing: Grovetender has 1 Growth for each Guardian on this card," does the first Grovetender affect itself only or all Grovetenders? In other words, would GT + GT + Stag = 4 Growths or 8?

Thanks

-ktrazz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not official, but I would say only 4 growth, as it would say "each Grovetender on this card" or something like that if it was 8. It refers to itself only IMO.

Waiting for John to answer now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m sure each advancement is treated separately, whether they refer to themselves by name or not. So yes, that would be an amazing card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Not official, but I would say only 4 growth, as it would say "each Grovetender on this card" or something like that if it was 8. It refers to itself only IMO.

This is the correct answer. If an advancement means to reference all instances of itself it will say so explicitly. There are no advancements currently that do that (unless I'm forgetting one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Williams
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. That's how I played it. Great game John!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnDClair wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

This is the correct answer. If an advancement means to reference all instances of itself it will say so explicitly. There are no advancements currently that do that (unless I'm forgetting one).

Could you explain that a bit more please? So if an advancement references itself by name, multiple copies on the same card are considered to be the same? But multiple advancements with the same name on different cards are considered different?

This, to me, is a huge rules issue that really should be in the rulebook. I'd never have thought of this myself, and neither have any of the other huge Mystic Vale fans I know.

Edit: A kind friend explained this to me. Never mind, the designer thinks the way I did, it’s just I didn’t understand the OP at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I have played a lot and I do not understand the OP at all. I must be assuming something as self-evident. I write this post before re-scrutinizing the OP, maybe I will understand it soon. What is not evident in the rules-as-written?

I can not imagine how some alternative rules-as-written should explain how this can be 8 Life? Fortunately, it is not 8, it is 4. One Grovetender producing 2 Life, and another Grovetender producing another 2 Life, 4 in total. I am still confused by the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
Actually, I have played a lot and I do not understand the OP at all. I must be assuming something as self-evident. I write this post before re-scrutinizing the OP, maybe I will understand it soon. What is not evident in the rules-as-written?

I can not imagine how some alternative rules-as-written should explain how this can be 8 Life? Fortunately, it is not 8, it is 4. One Grovetender producing 2 Life, and another Grovetender producing another 2 Life, 4 in total. I am still confused by the OP.

Oh good! I was going to go find my copy and make the card too! I assumed that there was a guardian symbol on each Grovetender, because that way I could find some meaning in the OP.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
No, I can't get you Stamps.
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:

OP is interpreting it as follows:
“All Grovetenders gain +1 Growth symbol for reach Guardian symbol on this card.”
So the first Grovetender gives EACH copy of the Grovetender advancement +2 Growth, and then the second Grovetender does the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, interesting! Perhaps an idea for an advanced expansion card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Williams
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that my post was confusing; I tried to be as clear as possible. Turns out that poshniallo's question would have been a much better way to phrase it, as my misinterpretation would have affected every Grovetender in the field instead of just the card. Moot point regardless.

-ktrazz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.