1 Posts

Stratos Spheres» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A gem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Bloomfield
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I got this as a Christmas present, and said a polite thank you to the giver. I have a few n-in-a-line games, and while they are OK as abstract games, they don't excite me. And I expected a similar experience from Stratos Spheres.

This is a little gem. Very easy to start playing (plug a ball in somewhere), but quite tricky. Very 'sharp'!

The aim of the game is to get four of your orbs in a row. If you can create an open ended two, and have your opponent miss this, then you can extend to an open ended three, and when your opponent stops one end, you extend the other. At a slightly more advanced level, if you can simultaneously create two open ended twos, then you win.

Except if they are on the diagonal, because it takes two moves to extend a diagonal. Or the opponent has an open three. Or the lugs get in the way!

I'll let you explore the use of lugs as blockers.

Anyway, don't write this off as a simple children's game. And don't let the videos about the game put you off. They don't do it justice.

Stratos Spheres is a serious adult abstract strategy game, perfect for filling in fifteen minutes or half an hour (you'll have to stop playing after then to stop your brain from frying). The only thing I have against it is I'm not sure how you go about recording games!

Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.