17 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Struggling with the game - high difficulty (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played through the introduction mission 4 times now and, each time, my group of adventurers have been roundly defeated, or we've had to fudge the dice rolls and pretend. I've played 2 games with 2 heroes and 2 games with 4 heroes (last night we played with the archaeologist, telepath, witch hunter, and exorcist), each with pretty much the same outcome. Here's the general outline of what happens - I'm hoping for some hints, as we really want to like this game, but the combat is really frustrating and long:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

1. Skirmishes have so far been crazy easy - we've lucked out and rolled low on the skirmish marker, which gives us a false sense of ease.

2. When traveling the world map, we take the road straight to Ostelink. Is this the correct strategy? Or should we explore more? I feel like we're all underequipped.

3. We've started buying bandages at towns we pass through with what money we have. While this is helpful, it doesn't really mitigate the damage the monsters do to our characters.

3. I've always helped the farmer, which brings us to the first real fight of the game. I've never lost a character battling the wolves, but everyone gets hurt. We focus our fire on one wolf at a time - in some cases, we take one out before the end of the first round. Two wolves can still cause damage, as their hitpoints are quite high, and we're rolling damage on 1d4 (takes at least 4 hits to take out one).

4. We usually rest after this adventure to recover our power points and health.

5. Three of four times we've faced undead at the entrance to the catacombs. Last night we managed to avoid them, but they hit hard. At times, my adventurers have gotten down to 3 hit points (and 1 or 2 power points) before even traveling into the next part of the quest.

6. When we fight the night stalkers, they automatically get first turn due to darkness effects. In all games I've played, they move up and block hero movement in the first room. This means that one night stalker wails on two of our heroes, while the other two heroes can't even take a shot at him (no line of sight). The one we fought last night quickly turned into a werewolf, who proceeded to eat our archaeologist (who went into ghost form). Our archaeologist falling opened up the space a bit so we could actually hit with 3 characters, and we managed to clear the room before the 2nd night stalker transformed. We didn't even THINK of clearing the rubble - hit points were already so low that it was too big of a risk.

7. In the last room, we used our dead archaeologist to our advantage. He kept using his ghost points to immobilize the big werewolf. Unfortunately, the priests in this room kept rolling hits and, at times, summoned additional werewolves. We focused our fire and took down the big werewolf but, by that time, our hp were nearly gone, and the priests had just summoned 2 additional werewolves. We ignored the summons, rerolled some to hit rolls, and finally, cheatingly, took down the priests. Everyone was frustrated and annoyed at this point - why is the first mission SO DIFFICULT?!?!

8. Solutions: I thought about cutting monster health in half. Also, the darkness disadvantage really sucks, especially for ranged attackers, so we might take that away. Our ranged attackers are constantly screwed, being limited to only three ammo (combat takes way more than 3 rounds) - maybe bump up this limit? Are there any other suggestions?

If we don't find a way to reduce the difficulty, I'll likely have to send this game on. Are we possibly playing incorrectly? We'd love to play the game as designed, but we're definitely faltering.

One additional tip: don't add the recipe cards to the item deck - it really dilutes your ability to find any useful items early on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
One more thing - we actually find the game to be MUCH more difficult than Kingdom Death, which is notorious for its high difficulty level. Right now, it's painful to play - maybe the game becomes more balanced once your party levels up a bit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kovaks -

I just started playing as well, I am running 5 characters through Story 1 now but I started with the free demo story on the games website and that really helped learn a lot and to get some extra loot.

I travelled both on road and off road, I would mix it up when you can.

Since I just started that's about all I can feel confident in telling you now.

Great game btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game should never be played with 2 players, IMO. It’s not balanced at all for that number.

You aren’t doing anything particularly wrong. This game has a lot of randomness to it. It’s something to accept, sadly. After a while, you get a lot more powerful and the randomness becomes less.

I would strongly recommend searching and using the variant that splits your item deck into multiple decks. It allows you to use town services to look for specific types of gear. It is logically and it makes the huge item deck not a pain.

There is absolutely nothing that requires you to make a beeline to your goals. That is the neat thing about Folklore. The missions will wait. So, if for example you get a few steps out of a town and get beaten up, run back to town and heal up.

Regarding the intro mission and your #6 problem:
A) Once you’ve cleared the enemies you can actually rest if you haven’t already.
B) Finish off the baddies and then do clear the rubble.

When heading into an Affliction fight, make sure you’ve got lots of power points. Using your skills is huge, especially at the start when you’ve got insufficient gear.

Finally, the final advice I can offer is that if you can get over the intro hump, you can earn a lot of money and lore by doing some rumors. You can in fact get a rumor during the intro scenario. The rumors are pretty random, some are easy and some are quite hard. But they give you a huge boost that you should even the game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've gotten in the habit of just always using the lowest value for the enemies' Vita (instead of adjusting it for the number of players). The battles are still long and challenging enough.

I'm also thinking of implementing a few other house rules, for example a range limit for ranged attacks. As it currently stands, enemies with ranged attacks don't really need to even move because they can just shoot anyone, anywhere.

I also ignore the rules for devastating strike/fault (i.e. rolling a 1 or 100). It's just silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kovaks wrote:
6. ...they automatically get first turn due to darkness effects.

Darkness
Darkness decreases your effectiveness in combat. There are two ways that Darkness can occur:
Story instructions: In this situation, a Darkness token should be placed on the affected map(s). Any character on a map with the Darkness token is affected, unless they are carrying a Light Source.
Creature powers: This usually affects a single target with Darkness. Follow the directions on the Creature or Affliction card. Unless stated otherwise, the Darkness effect ends once combat is completed. An example of this is when one character becomes blinded.
Combats that occur in Darkness result in a -5 Might to all melee attacks and -10 Might to all ranged attacks. A character holding an equipped Light Source, such as a Torch, does not take these penalties. Darkness has no effect on foes or ghost characters.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Glic2003 wrote:

I also ignore the rules for devastating strike/fault (i.e. rolling a 1 or 100). It's just silly.

Glad I'm not the only one! That rule just seems so absurd. I rolled a 100 TWICE in the same combat, and was so underwhelmed by the results... If I roll a damn 100, I should CHOP THAT SUCKERS HEAD OFF! There were a lot of little things about the game that bugged, but this one was stupid. (I still really liked the game, though!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one! That rule just seems so absurd. I rolled a 100 TWICE in the same combat, and was so underwhelmed by the results... If I roll a damn 100, I should CHOP THAT SUCKERS HEAD OFF! There were a lot of little things about the game that bugged, but this one was stupid. (I still really liked the game, though!!)

Or the reverse is even worse: if you roll a 1 early on, you'll be stuck without a weapon for a very long time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
zeeparkes wrote:
Kovaks wrote:
6. ...they automatically get first turn due to darkness effects.

Darkness
Darkness decreases your effectiveness in combat. There are two ways that Darkness can occur:
Story instructions: In this situation, a Darkness token should be placed on the affected map(s). Any character on a map with the Darkness token is affected, unless they are carrying a Light Source.
Creature powers: This usually affects a single target with Darkness. Follow the directions on the Creature or Affliction card. Unless stated otherwise, the Darkness effect ends once combat is completed. An example of this is when one character becomes blinded.
Combats that occur in Darkness result in a -5 Might to all melee attacks and -10 Might to all ranged attacks. A character holding an equipped Light Source, such as a Torch, does not take these penalties. Darkness has no effect on foes or ghost characters.

whistle

We also thought this kind of weird. Our telepath had a built in light source, but no one else could make use of it? What gives? We also figured the enemy group still got first activation since we were still overall in darkness even if one character wasn't. Could have played this wrong...

Edited for typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget the damage you do is 1d4 PLUS your, um, strength stat (or whatever it's called, don't have the game in front of me).

Rolling 100 gives you a second attack, doesn't it? If you really want to give it flair, we could use Rolemaster's critical tables and roll on those?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Gumpl

Alliance
Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
I reviewed this game on YouTube based on a solo play I did. I didn’t get to the first Affliction and loved the game. The theme is amazing. The video even got posted on their second Kickstarter run. Unfortunately, since then I played two long games with a friend and we got destroyed both times in story 1 and 2 and I’m done with it. It’s not even close to balanced for 2 players. It’s laughable how bad the game is set up. The randomness is insane ans it’s basically impossible. There is no way it should be percent Dice to attack. The math is all over the place. There is no way they tested this for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mb
Twilightorder wrote:
I reviewed this game on YouTube based on a solo play I did. I didn’t get to the first Affliction and loved the game. The theme is amazing. The video even got posted on their second Kickstarter run. Unfortunately, since then I played two long games with a friend and we got destroyed both times in story 1 and 2 and I’m done with it. It’s not even close to balanced for 2 players. It’s laughable how bad the game is set up. The randomness is insane ans it’s basically impossible. There is no way it should be percent Dice to attack. The math is all over the place. There is no way they tested this for 2.

Did you try the new 2P rules, from the 2nd ed Rulebook?

Also, what's the issue with the d100 to attack? A lot of people seems to complain about that, but it's just a way to say "you have x% + modifiers chance to hit", and you have a 1% precision on x because its a d100. What's wrong with that? Note that I didn't play the game yet, but I'd like to understand that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, in most of the battles you have about a 30-40% chance of your attack being a complete miss. So if you roll badly, it can take a very long time to defeat the enemies, and there isn't usually anything you can do to mitigate that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mb
Glic2003 wrote:
Generally speaking, in most of the battles you have about a 30-40% chance of your attack being a complete miss. So if you roll badly, it can take a very long time to defeat the enemies, and there isn't usually anything you can do to mitigate that.

I don't see the link with the d100 system. If we compare it with another classical system, one attack dice (with eg swords), one defense dice (with eg shields), hit only when swords > shields, hit points = swords - shields, if the two dices have the same repartition, the hit probability is 50%.

The advantage with a d100 is that it is much easier to fine tune the probability of hit, and the expectation of hit points (= probability of hit multiplied by (fixed damages + expectation of hit dice(s))), than in the attack dice vs defense dice case.

There may have issues with the choices of probability, but it is not inherent to the d100 system.

Anyway, with this system, if your not happy with the outcome, it is easy to house rule: if the hit probability is too small, increase it by 10% by adding 10 to your might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebesgue21 wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:

I don't see the link with the d100 system. If we compare it with another classical system, one attack dice (with eg swords), one defense dice (with eg shields), hit only when swords > shields, hit points = swords - shields, if the two dices have the same repartition, the hit probability is 50%.

The advantage with a d100 is that it is much easier to fine tune the probability of hit, and the expectation of hit points (= probability of hit multiplied by (fixed damages + expectation of hit dice(s))), than in the attack dice vs defense dice case.

They may have an issue with the choices of probability, but it does not seem to be inherent to the d100 system.

Anyway, with this system, if your not happy with the outcome, it is easy to house rule: if the hit probability is too small, increase it by 10% by adding 10 to your might.

Played with some younger kids, and the houserule they used was spend a power point to reroll a failed roll of any kind. This didn't seem to break anything, though Power points were used up rather quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Houserule I'm going to play with: If you miss an attack, you get a token that can be used to add +10 to your next attack. Miss again, get another token. Call it Determination, or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Gumpl

Alliance
Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
It's just a question of math (not that I'm great at math or anything) If you compare it to D&D 3.5 and to 5th edition, they realized how terrible having a big variance in numbers is for the game. It doesn't let you balance the game properly. In 3.5 characters got a bonus to hit almost every level, leading to numbers from 1-20 or so. By lowering the bonus in 5th edition to like 1-5, it gives the game balance and consistency. It's just a matter of, when rolling percent dice, you're going to have wild results. You're going to miss a ton, and enemies with higher defense means you're going to miss a whole lot more, leading to inconsistent fights. There's no way to balance a huge range of numbers like that.

For example, one of the bosses does 1D4 damage on one attack, but if you roll a 6 on a D6, he does 2D6 damage. Get a couple of those and the fight is over fast. It all just boils down to random luck that you can't mitigate. It's terribly designed. I will have to look at this new 2P rules, but I shouldn't have to. The game on release should be complete and balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.