In King's Golem, what happens if you have Magic Mirror and use Secret Artifact to gain Altar of Gold?
If you buy Altar of Gold during play, the rep you get from it is included in the Magic Mirror multiplier. Straightforward.
But if you use Secret Artifact to gain Altar of Gold, how do they interact?
- Secret Artifact rules: "If you chose Altar of Gold, reveal it and use its effect just before reputation points are converted to victory points"
- Magic Mirror rules: "During scoring, you should count this artifact first, while the scoring track still shows how many reputation points you had at the end of play. "
It seems from these rules that the Altar och Gold effect comes after you calculate the Magic Mirror effect, so you do not get the Magic Mirror effect on the rep you get from Altar of Gold. Is that right? Seems unambiguous but also a bit unsatisfactory...
- Last edited Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:42 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 pm
To me that also seems unambiguous, but I get to the opposite conclusion
You quoted the key here:
Secret Artifact rules: "If you chose Altar of Gold, reveal it and use its effect just before reputation points are converted to victory points"
Reputation points being converted to victory points is actually the first step of scoring - a step in which you do nothing physically, you leave the scoring markers in their spots and it just means they now represent VP instead of RP. Only after that step comes artifact scoring.
So if you have altar of gold as your secret artifact, you use it before scoring so before magic mirror is used.
Also conceptually, altar of gold gives you reputation points, not victory points. Reputation points is exactly what magic mirror counts.
"Reveal your secret artifact at the end of the last round before
final scoring. (If you chose Altar of Gold, reveal it and use its
effect just before reputation points are converted to victory
points. Feather in Cap can be revealed during the exhibition.)"
So basically, as the last step of the final round, you reveal your secret artifact. If it's Altar of Gold, you follow the special instructions.
Now the next part gives us a bit of a contradiction, because we're suppose to score additional VICTORY POINTS for the secret artifact (5 - cost), but we haven't converted reputation to victory points yet.
Trying to come up with the most likely intent here, I would:
1. If Secret Artifact is Feather in Cap, it is revealed during the Exhibition
2. Last action of last round is taken [this may occur before #1 if nobody places on Exhibition]
3. Non-Feather Secret Artifact is revealed; if it is Altar of Gold, use its effect immediately
4. Reputation points become victory points
5. Score magic mirror
6. Score other artifacts except Wisdom Idol, including extra victory points from Secret Artifact that cost less than 5.
7. Score grants
8. Exchange favors [and approval tokens] for gold, score gold.
9. Big reveal and scoring seals
10. Score wisdom idol
[11. Golem scoring]