Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Henderson
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get everyone's opinions as to what cards are the absolute best in this new expansion. If you were to ask me, for example, I's have to say the floater-based cards are some of the best, with my top picks being Deuterium Exports, Stratopolis, Floating Habs, and Local Shading. Looking at the new corporations, Manutech, Morningstar and Celestic are my top 3 new ones. But enough about my top picks, let's hear what you guys think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratospheric Birds is pretty powerful if Venus is getting terraformed early on. After only 6 steps you are able to get a 1/1 VP generator going. If you get the Venus city that allows you to add a resource to any Venus card that goes up to 2 VP every generation. Last night I won the game handily with this one card generating 20 points for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
Waves broke in swift lines on the beach, and she walked over the sand toward her friends, in the wind, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
Stratospheric Birds is pretty powerful if Venus is getting terraformed early on. After only 6 steps you are able to get a 1/1 VP generator going. If you get the Venus city that allows you to add a resource to any Venus card that goes up to 2 VP every generation. Last night I won the game handily with this one card generating 20 points for me.

Was going to say exactly this. Stratopolis is the city you want too, it produces two floaters per turn and can let you swoop the milestone quickly. The birds are 1vp/turn min and give you the sometimes elusive animal tag too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Definitely Stratospheric Birds... because only my wife was able to recognize my card with birds by my description "You need 12% Venus, remove 1 floater and you get 1 point every round", so that I won Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s really tough to say which is the best. It depends on when in the game you get a card. For example, Gyropolis stinks early on. But I got it late in the game with my wife (who had funded the banker award) and was able to add 8 M€ production, followed by the robotics card, which allowed me to copy the production box of that city. I went up 16 M€ in one turn and crushed the award. But had I gotten that card early, I wouldn’t have paid for it. Same goes for other cards. It just depends on your current cards, how they synergize with each other, and when you get it.

In other words, tough question with no perfect answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game with the expansion this weekend and I was stunned by that birds card. It seems like the designers simply don't expect the Venus track to move up very quickly/get close to the end, because it's off the charts compared to other 1/1 animal cards.

It's possible that it was the newness of playing with the expansion that made 2/4 players choose Venus-y things, but we hit 12% on the Venus track very early on and the player with that card went on to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, Stratospheric Birds comes into play extremely fast.

I'm also extremely fond of Acid-eating bacteria, the one that gives you money for each microbe it has. I've found it's great on its own but what makes it great is how many combos and nifty interaction it has. Also a lot of fun to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pearson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Besides Stratospheric Birds, Deuterium Exports is the other standout to me. As long as you have good use for power it saves you an average of 5.5 megacredits per generation. Plus the three tags. Not to mention no requirements, which makes it a wonderful opener.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the Stratospheric Birds card is way too easy to fire. To be equivalent to Martian animals the Venusian atmosphere should be 24% or so. I think the WGP causes the Venus track to move too quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. From a thematic standpoint, I wish the Venus track was way longer and that the required parameters for certain cards was way higher. Not sure it would’ve worked with game mechanics though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.