Recommend
17 
 Thumb up
 Hide
165 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The reason why I don’t like... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: not-worth-the-click [+] killer_melons [+] [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here’s the thing. I have preferences. I like some stuff. I don’t like other stuff. Seems simple enough. Yet for some reason everyone seems determined to convince me that I don’t actually dislike the stuff I don’t like.

Apparently I don’t dislike X... I’m just hipster-hating on it to be cool. And I don’t dislike Y... I just don’t know how to manage probabilities and blame it’s flaws on luck. And I don’t dislike Z... I don’t understand the brilliance of the game.

Except... I’ve played those games and been unimpressed/bored/miserable. They weren’t fun. I’m not trying to up my gamer cred by hating on them because who even cares about that. I’ve enjoyed other games with more luck. And I see what you call brilliance and I don’t particularly think you’re right.

I just don’t like those games. It happens. People don’t like the things you think are great. I know it boggles your mind that someone could truly dislike the things you think are incredible, but it happens. We all have different tastes and preferences. And it’s okay that you like X and I don’t.. or that I like A, B and C and you think they’re as interesting as sawdust. We can like different things.

So please stop telling me the reasons I don’t really dislike a game. Just accept that my preferences are different from yours.

(Monopoly and Munchkin are way too long. Flux is too random. And Blood Rage doesn’t nothing interesting. For me. It’s those last two words that are important here.)
51 
 Thumb up
2.76
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Ahahahah. I do this, but not about board games, but stuff like watermelon. Seriously who doesn't like watermelon?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Avatar
SuperGLS wrote:
Ahahahah. I do this, but not about board games, but stuff like watermelon. Seriously who doesn't like watermelon?


I don't care for it. Too many seeds and fundamentally has no taste...
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S.
Germany
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I dislike Terraforming Mars, which everybody seems to love.
I do LOVE Chronos Conquest, which everyone of my friends hates.

I know the feeling.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was another legacy game hate thread.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was another legacy game hate thread.


I thought it'd be another "The Reason I don't like the bgg rating system", having seen that one in two weeks so is bound to be coming up.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
And Blood Rage doesn’t nothing interesting..


<twitch>
12 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Mondays
I want to shoot
The whole day down
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't care if someone doesn't like something. What I don't like is someone going out of their way to tell me they don't like it. If it comes up in conversation, great. We can discuss the reasons why and come to an understanding. If you're just randomly shouting out that you hate something and don't understand why someone likes it, then that's where I have an issue.

Let's use Legacy games as an example. A lot of people like Legacy games, and a lot of people don't. That's great, the market is diverse so we can all find the games we like. What isn't necessary is a constant barrage of people making sure we all know that they don't like Legacy games. Why start a post simply to say you hate something? These posts aren't just in the general forum, but also in the specific game forums as well. That's just someone going out of their way to be a jerk.

I'm not saying you are one of these people, so hopefully you didn't take it that way as I completely understand what you're saying. My co-worker and I talk games, and we have different tastes, but thankfully we're able to see the other's viewpoints, even if we disagree. It would drive me crazy if someone tried to convince me that I needed to like something simply because they do.

On the other hand, if someone is excited about something, it isn't out of the question for them to try to convince you that it's great. It isn't because they hate your opinion, its more because they're excited about something and want to share that excitement with you.
22 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
@Bryan,

I have read enough of your posts to know that you don't mince words and, in addition, you pretty much quantify what you say in an articulate way.

I want to be like that but I have a hard time telling people I don't want to play game "X". I am not a big fan of Terraforming Mars but I know it's a really good game (and popular, too) but it's just not resonating with me, yet. I say "yet" because other games I didn't like at first (Brass) grew on me, so I am hoping TM will, too.

A game I really don't like is La Boca and I came close to passing on it the last time it was suggested but alas, I gave in & played it.

This is something I need to work on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, I think I know the precise forum threads that prompted this post, and I agree with your OP 100%, Bryan!

I don't know why it is so hard for people to accept that there are different tastes and that some people just really don't enjoy a thing. Sometimes lots of people don't enjoy a thing! They're not "hating" on anything just to be cool, they're just not having fun and would rather play something else.
That's all there is behind the "hate" for Monopoly and Catan.
Other people love those same games, and that's great!

(The opposite happens too, of course. We don't need to tell people they're wrong for liking something either.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:
Ahahahah. I do this, but not about board games, but stuff like watermelon. Seriously who doesn't like watermelon?


I don't care for it. Too many seeds and fundamentally has no taste...

Good watermelon has lots of taste. That bland shit you get in grocery stores, yeah, not so good.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love X, Y and Z. Also, it is so easy to keep them organized on my shelf. They are also great to help with math formulas.
16 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I’m not trying to up my gamer cred by hating on them because who even cares about that.


Sounds like something a hipster would say.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Just accept that my preferences are different from yours.

But they aren't!

(Ok, you give Munchkin a 4 and I give it a 4.5. Close enough.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt there's 'anyone', who enjoys being told what to and what not to like!..
But all jokes aside, are you 100% SURE, you don't like X, Y and Z? I think we need to change your mind.. lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was another legacy game hate thread.


Well, X could easily be misread as Legacy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. "I don't like x..." is pretty unassailable. This is why I stick to BGG's recommended system of rating games. It doesn't ask me to rate it as if I were an Ivy-league educated art critic writing for the New Yorker, but rather how much I personally desire to play the game. 1 being I'd rather chew glass than play; 10 being I would only turn down a game if I were dead or in prison, and if I were in prison, I'd break out. It'll preserve your sanity to do it this way as opposed to being invested in making sure the aggregate rating reflects some objective judgement. ("Who gave this game a 6? Explain yourself!) No more hair-pulling when "smjj" rates yet another game a 1.

However, the trouble starts when people begin with "I don't like this game because..." Then it is reasonable to expect some pushback because you often witness some loopy stuff. I recall I guy here went into a schpeel about how much more imaginative Euro games were to thematic games. And then told us his favorite game was Cyclades. Err...as someone else put it:

Dice rolling? Check.
Plastic miniatures? Check.
Super awesome fantastic monsters? Check.
Box cover art that says, "HULK SMASH"? Check.
Stealing all the work done by someone else? Check.
Events governed by a random mechanic (cards)? Check.
Direct player interaction beating on each other? Check.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I still am (irrationally) annoyed when people hate on games I love.

"Terrible. Misguided design. Nonsensical theme.", they gave it a 1. I give it a 9.5. They're wrong wrong wrong, and I want to go to their house, stand on their lawn, and hold a boombox over my head that's playing "YOU'RE WRONG" on a loop. But I would never actually do that. Because I don't know where they live.
32 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
fh13 wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:
Ahahahah. I do this, but not about board games, but stuff like watermelon. Seriously who doesn't like watermelon?


I don't care for it. Too many seeds and fundamentally has no taste...

Good watermelon has lots of taste. That bland shit you get in grocery stores, yeah, not so good.


I put salt on mine, and people think I am a monster. I regret nothing.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Here’s the thing. I have preferences. I like some stuff. I don’t like other stuff. Seems simple enough. Yet for some reason everyone seems determined to convince me that I don’t actually dislike the stuff I don’t like.

That's because you have opinions. I on the other hand get to be right
Quote:

Except... I’ve played those games and been unimpressed/bored/miserable. They weren’t fun. I’m not trying to up my gamer cred by hating on them because who even cares about that. I’ve enjoyed other games with more luck. And I see what you call brilliance and I don’t particularly think you’re right.

Internet shouting matches aside I think part of it is simply trying to understand what you don't like. In a sense claiming to dislike a game is kind of ludicrous - I don't like Blood Rage. I have no problem being in the same room as Blood Rage though, and seeing the box hasn't provoked any kind of emotional response in me. So really it's not Blood Rage I dislike, it's specific aspects of the game itself. I'm happy to discuss it with people who do like Blood Rage because there's a certain element of blinders involved; as I don't find the game fun I'm aware there are interesting elements I'm probably overlooking due to my dislike, just as if I did like the game there'd be a bunch of flaws I'm skipping over because I like it. Engaging with someone of the opposite viewpoint allows me to better understand why I happen to like or dislike the game in question and as a result, a better understanding of where my own tastes lie.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
And Blood Rage doesn’t nothing interesting..


<twitch>
Is it the incorrect grammar, the double negative, or the apparent dislike of Blood Rage that has you twitching?

If it's one of the first two, I can understand, but Blood Rage is fairly mediocre game that may have a greater and more interesting decision space than the other three titles mentioned, but there are many games that cover much of the decision space that Blood Rage covers in more interesting ways. If you like the drafting, Terraforming Mars, 7 Wonders, and Fairy Tale are better options. If you like the dudes on a map area control-ish aspect, CitOW and Cthulhu Wars are better options.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Seriously who doesn't like watermelon?


I don't. I'm allergic to Watermelon.
 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ckruns624 wrote:
skutsch wrote:
fh13 wrote:
SuperGLS wrote:
Ahahahah. I do this, but not about board games, but stuff like watermelon. Seriously who doesn't like watermelon?


I don't care for it. Too many seeds and fundamentally has no taste...

Good watermelon has lots of taste. That bland shit you get in grocery stores, yeah, not so good.


I put salt on mine, and people think I am a monster. I regret nothing.
I have had watermelon from grocery stores that tasted quite good, perhaps more of a crap shoot, but I've also had bland fresh from the farm watermelon, so I'm still willing to take the chance at grocery stores.

Salt on watermelon is awesome, not really needed for good watermelon, but still enjoyable.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody cares if you like stuff or don't like stuff. They just get bent out of shape when you say you don't like stuff on a public forum because they like stuff, and they are worried that you'll make other people not like stuff. People are weird like that.

Pete (does generally contest the factual assertion that Monopoly is too long though, unless you think an hour is too long for Monopoly to last)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.