10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Your experiences with Summoner wars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi guys, Id like to know, from those who own or played the game, wether is worth it and if Its a good gift for someone who likes fantasy books, movies...thé game has my sympathies, but maybe You would advice something different, You could feel free and share thé experience with me. Id like to know wether thé game has good replayability aswell. Thanx everyone in advance. If there is simmilar, but better game with kind of simmilar mechanics And Is better, please let me know. I was aswell considering ď&d boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MapleMatt wrote:
Its a good gift for someone who likes fantasy books, movies.

Do they play games though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MapleMatt wrote:
Hi guys, Id like to know, from those who own or played the game, wether is worth it and if Its a good gift for someone who likes fantasy books, movies...thé game has my sympathies, but maybe You would advice something different, You could feel free and share thé experience with me. Id like to know wether thé game has good replayability aswell. Thanx everyone in advance. If there is simmilar, but better game with kind of simmilar mechanics And Is better, please let me know. I was aswell considering ď&d boardgames

The game has at the moment incredible replayability with 40 summoners to choose from. It has quite simple rules, but a lot of strategy. That said it it is no longer the prettiest game out there and this genre is quite crowded. I am not sure if this is a good gateway game, although for someone who likes e.g. turn-based computer strategies it will be very easy to work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
this genre is quite crowded. I am not sure if this is a good gateway game

While the genre is crowed, few use an actual board. Of the two main ones which would get recommended, it is by far the more entry level one. Plaid Hat Games is one of the best in terms of a creating a package which is easy for its player base to get into and keep expanding with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game - one of my favorites. You often hear it described as "Chess played with Magic cards", and that's a pretty good way to think of it.

There is tons of replayability with many different factions, and deckbuilding options within those factions.

If you're looking for a two-player game that would appeal to a fantasy fan, I would highly recommend it. I think even someone who isn't a hardcore gamer would have an easy time getting into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great fantasy theme, and replayability is through the roof, whether you want to master one faction or just try them all. The basic rules should be easy enough for a beginner to learn, but each deck is does enough unique stuff to hold their interest. I really can't recommend this one highly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Make sure to get the later factions and second summoners (Master Set onwards, mainly), they're far more interesting and have a lot more identity than the generally rather vanilla early factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played this 48 times against human opponents and a bunch against the AI on my phone. It is great. Its replayability comes from the different factions, changing summoners and some light deck building. I have the Master Set and 2 other faction decks and aren't bored at all with it. Most games take less than 45 minutes.

Unless your friend hates chess I think it is a great fantasy war-game. The big box sets are my tip for getting value but if you want to go cheaper the basic 2 faction box is ok and not too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the D&D adventure system games are easy to get into. I think they're better suited for casual gamers since they're co-op and the minis and tiles look nice. They don't offer the replayability of Summoner Wars, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I think that both Summoner Wars starter sets are great gifts to give someone that likes fantasy games, it is easy learn, has a lot of depth and replay and in case the person wants to expand the game there are a lot of cheap quality products.

Although the DnD Adventure games are also easy to learn they can be quite hard to win, specially for someone without much experience with those kinds of games, I also think that they need to be played with a more dedicated group (otherwise the owner will be replaying the first scenario a lot everytime he teaches it to a new player) than the basic Summoner Wars sets.

At the end of the day I feel both are great games that can be good entry points for a fantasy lover into boardgames, one being competitive and the other cooperative, also keep in mind that Summoner Wars plays best at 2 players while DnD can be more fun in a group of 3 or 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.