Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Rules queries after the prologue - please help! Spoilers of prologue. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Adams
msg tools
Okay. So after a video watch, a rules read-through and a dummy-run through the prologue, I have to agree with the general concensous they the rule book is an absolute mess. I therefore have a few questions in need of answering if anyone would be so good...

1) the term endeavour is simply a term which covers either exploring or raiding - correct?

2) when moving into/out of your home province port, can you enter the sea at any hex. For instance the province at the bottom of the board could sill enter the sea at the top of the board.

3) in the early rounds, there seems absolutely no advantage in paying reputation to use other players ports; I’m assuming this is the case until sufficient upgrades are in place to make it worth it?

4) Raiding for goods is different/better to buying goods as you can raid goods even once the goods spot is empty.

5) The rules say “you may activate an advisor from your council room”. Is that a choice or mandatory. For instance, can I purchase an advisor into
my council room but then not activate an advisor, saving them for future turns?

6) I have read that st the end of the prologue, you destroy our current leaders. Do you have to do this; will it affect the game if you don’t?

7) When moving goods from your hold to your warehouse, your shop has to be in your home port.

8) Your home port contains an any-item market to sell goods in your warehouse, correct?

That’s all I can remember for now! Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willadams33 wrote:
Okay. So after a video watch, a rules read-through and a dummy-run through the prologue, I have to agree with the general concensous they the rule book is an absolute mess. I therefore have a few questions in need of answering if anyone would be so good...

1) the term endeavour is simply a term which covers either exploring or raiding - correct?

An endeavour is when you determine a dice pool, roll, and compare to a difficulty level. At the start of the campaign, that's when you explore or raid sites at islands, and will extend in Game 1 to raiding other provinces. As the campaign continues, other forms of endeavours may appear.

Quote:
2) when moving into/out of your home province port, can you enter the sea at any hex. For instance the province at the bottom of the board could sill enter the sea at the top of the board.

The spaces adjacent to your home province port are the one or two adjacent province ports and the extended Open Sea space. That space is then adjacent to every home port and every sea space on the first row. So you can get from the southernmost province space to the northernmost sea space on the first full column in a move of two - one to open sea, then one to the first column space of your choice.

Quote:
3) in the early rounds, there seems absolutely no advantage in paying reputation to use other players ports; I’m assuming this is the case until sufficient upgrades are in place to make it worth it?

In general, the reasons to offer reputation to use a player's space are either they have good buildings or the space itself is usefully located (maybe you plan to attack them next turn and want to be able to move away afterwards!)

Quote:
4) Raiding for goods is different/better to buying goods as you can raid goods even once the goods spot is empty.

Raiding is better than buying goods because (a) the good doesn't have to be on the space, (b) you don't have to pay gold for the good, and (c) you get a glory for a successful endeavour. It's worse because (a) it costs enmity, (b) you leave enmity, which may cause issues later, and (c) you'll only get one good in the action, while buying may get two or more.

Quote:
5) The rules say “you may activate an advisor from your council room”. Is that a choice or mandatory. For instance, can I purchase an advisor into

It's optional. You can choose to not have an advisor for a round.

Quote:
6) I have read that st the end of the prologue, you destroy our current leaders. Do you have to do this; will it affect the game if you don’t?

Well, it's a shame you've read that up front. And yes, you should name and destroy your leaders. If your co-players don't know about it, don't tell them - my group thought that twist was fantastic!

Quote:
7) When moving goods from your hold to your warehouse, your shop has to be in your home port.

Goods can't teleport. At the start of end of any Move action, you can move goods into or out of your warehouse from or to a ship in the space of that warehouse.

Quote:
8) Your home port contains an any-item market to sell goods in your warehouse, correct?

Correct. Your home port is sort of a combination of your entire player board (except ship stats) plus everything on the space on the board. The market symbol in the Warehouse space (I think?) is part of the full Home Port space.

Quote:

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willadams33 wrote:

1 -- Yes.

2 -- The huge space that has no hexagons, costs one movement point. Movement point 2 is into any sea space from there.

3 -- Yes. In fact, I have not yet used this option and I am half way through the game.

4 -- Yes, but that costs enmity tokens that may prove problematic in the future.

5 -- You don't have activate an advisor on any turn. It says on page 13 under Activate an Advisor ... "You MAY choose a face-up advisor from your council room and place it in your active advisor space on your province board."

6 -- You can do what you want, but destroying the current leaders is part of the story.

7 -- Yes

8 -- Yes

I wouldn't call the rules an absolute mess as you say. In fact, your questions can be fairly easily answered in the rules. The game does get more complicated and the rules do get more ambiguous as the game goes on, but there are many people on this forum who will patiently answer all questions. Seafall is a good game, don't believe all the negative press that you read.

You will like the game if:

1 -- you are willing to ask questions
2 -- you like heavy games
3 -- you don't mind downtime between turns
4 -- you are more interested in unique gaming experience rather than a nail biting tense game that is neck and neck to the finish.

My 2+ cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Adams
msg tools
Thank you both for those quick responses. I really like the idea of Seafall but figured that I really needed to know the rules in order to sell it to my group! Thanks for the help and I may well be back for more soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
willadams33 wrote:

Well, it's a shame you've read that up front. And yes, you should name and destroy your leaders. If your co-players don't know about it, don't tell them - my group thought that twist was fantastic!

I'll give a contrary opinion on this one: we selected the leaders we liked best and wanted to name and look at for the campaign, and then destroyed those cards and picked from the leftovers. yuk

I agree with the recommendation of another poster: Have each player select 2 leaders, and use their second-favorite for the prologue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Gelinas
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dommer2029 wrote:
LeonardQuirm wrote:
willadams33 wrote:

I'll give a contrary opinion on this one: we selected the leaders we liked best and wanted to name and look at for the campaign, and then destroyed those cards and picked from the leftovers. yuk

Our group loved the twist. Of course everybody picks their favorite, this is why the twist works! Otherwise, I wouldn't be as invested in the legacy of Mohammed Avdol. I ended up with my second choice for a leader, but he grew on me. I thought that everybody getting screwed over their leader choice was excellent. We all put our destroyed leader in our province chest. At the beginning of each game, I saw the destroyed portrait and it reminded me how it all began.

That's a lot of narrative weight for such a low impact event. In the end, it's just aesthetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Adams
msg tools
Having had another very thourough read of the rules, I agree more with you now, the rules seemed to make more sense and were in a better order hon second reading. I do have two further queries if people would be so kind:

1) If you replace a building or ship upGrade to make room for a new one, you have to give one glory back for putting a building/upgrade back, then gain that glory back for building/upgrading, so you don’t gain any glory in effect. Is this correct. Therefore you can earn a maximum of 2 glory a game from ship upgrades for example, even if you may end up taking the upgrade action more times that that?

2) When a field is raided, it says it does not produce the following winter. I’m sure I read somewhere that that is only that case if it still has an enmity token on it come the following winter. Is that correct? But I don’t understand how that Emmitt could be removed before the next winter, so I didn’t really understand that rules-amendment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
willadams33 wrote:
Having had another very thourough read of the rules, I agree more with you now, the rules seemed to make more sense and were in a better order hon second reading. I do have two further queries if people would be so kind:

1) If you replace a building or ship upGrade to make room for a new one, you have to give one glory back for putting a building/upgrade back, then gain that glory back for building/upgrading, so you don’t gain any glory in effect. Is this correct. Therefore you can earn a maximum of 2 glory a game from ship upgrades for example, even if you may end up taking the upgrade action more times that that?

2) When a field is raided, it says it does not produce the following winter. I’m sure I read somewhere that that is only that case if it still has an enmity token on it come the following winter. Is that correct? But I don’t understand how that Emmitt could be removed before the next winter, so I didn’t really understand that rules-amendment?

1) Correct on the question but it is actually 4 glory per game (2 upgrades for each ship = 4)

2)Remember: it is a Legacy Game. If you don't understand this then you probably will in the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giannis2 wrote:

2)Remember: it is a Legacy Game. If you don't understand this then you probably will in the future!

This is good advice but there is a base game situation in which it applies. Remember that enmity is re-paid in the target's own tokens from your At War With section in preference to using your own enmity, and when you do so that enmity goes straight back to their personal supply rather than onto a plundered site.

So in Year 1, Green raids Purple's field, placing 1 enmity on the field. In Year 2's Winter, that field doesn't produce gold, and then the Green enmity moves from the field to Purple's At War With space. If during that year Purple raids Green's province and plunders a field, Purple has to pay 1 enmity, which is paid in the form of the 1 Green enmity being returned to the Home Enmity of Green. That way, the field is still clear of enmity, allowing it to either be plundered again that same year, or else to produce Gold in the Winter of Year 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Andrikopoulos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Giannis2 wrote:

This is good advice but there is a base game situation in which it applies. Remember that enmity is re-paid in the target's own tokens from your At War With section in preference to using your own enmity, and when you do so that enmity goes straight back to their personal supply rather than onto a plundered site.

So in Year 1, Green raids Purple's field, placing 1 enmity on the field. In Year 2's Winter, that field doesn't produce gold, and then the Green enmity moves from the field to Purple's At War With space. If during that year Purple raids Green's province and plunders a field, Purple has to pay 1 enmity, which is paid in the form of the 1 Green enmity being returned to the Home Enmity of Green. That way, the field is still clear of enmity, allowing it to either be plundered again that same year, or else to produce Gold in the Winter of Year 3.

This is true but the question was about how it was possible for the enmity token to be removed BEFORE the coming winter which (as far as I recall) can only be done by:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
an advisor that allows you to take back one of your tokens after using him, cannot remember his name though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.