21 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Legends of the Alliance (app) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I just picked this game up (at long last) second hand.

Am i correct in assuming the app is not the campaign in the core set?

I had assumed it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Kerr
Ireland
Ulster
flag msg tools
mbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of the Alliance comes with a new campaign called Flight of the Freedom Fighter.

You only need the core set to play it.

The app does not and almost certainly will not allow you to play any of the existing 1 vs many campaigns.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/1/a-new-l...
Galaxies to Explore wrote:
The cooperative campaign for Imperial Assault using the Legends of the Alliance app offers new worlds to explore—starting with a tutorial and a full-length, five-mission campaign: Flight of the Freedom Fighter. This campaign casts you straight into the tumultuous aftermath of the Death Star’s destruction above the Rebel base on Yavin 4. The Empire’s retaliation is in full swing, and you must help the Rebels escape from Imperial clutches as you launch a new adventure across the galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's a shame. It sounds like it's not a particularly substantial experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:

I have played all of the official campaigns for this game. I have also played the LotA campaign once (though I plan to play again). I thoroughly enjoyed LotA at least as much as the "regular" campaigns. I found it to be a rewarding and very substantial experience. Of course others may have had different experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
How does the app campaign integrate expansion material; does it make use of the extra imperial cards, map tiles, or just the expanded choice of characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Putting this here while I try to think of something really clever...
badge
Just smile, no one gets out alive.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:

On the other hand, it is a free app so you aren't out anything to play it. I only ever play the campaign with my young kids (with me as the imperial) or my wife (also usually with me as the imperial), so it is fun to have a co-operative campaign where we can take on the bad guys together. There is potential for FFG to expand the app with more content in the future, so it should only get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Putting this here while I try to think of something really clever...
badge
Just smile, no one gets out alive.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
How does the app campaign integrate expansion material; does it make use of the extra imperial cards, map tiles, or just the expanded choice of characters?

Right now app content is limited to the contents of the base game. Other expansions (tiles, Imperial/Scum characters, etc.) are future content. I haven't played with any expansion heroes, but it does look like you can use them, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app adds in the item cards from the expansions as well as the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lassimer wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:

Right now app content is limited to the contents of the base game. Other expansions (tiles, Imperial/Scum characters, etc.) are future content. I haven't played with any expansion heroes, but it does look like you can use them, however.

Technically there are a few things that do integrate from expansions, mostly cards and allies, but a few villains and I believe most of the heroes can be used. No tiles yet.

Check the expansion list and it tells you what is what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:

A fan-made web app called Imperial Directive offers an AI similar to LotA that runs through the Core Box Campaign. See THIS THREAD for info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
thanks, that looks really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Edwardson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
The app in my opinion is more robust than the core box campaign. It brings in a lot more story elements and decisions in between games. Also works well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Altrusian
United States
Pasadena
Texas
flag msg tools
GAMES GAMES GAMES
badge
Enik, the Altrusian
mbmbmbmbmb
the app is fantastic. I just loved it.
And the ending was sooo good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It's somewhat unstable on my android tablet.

The device is strong enough to run it but the board gets a bit wonky at times...not responding to touching points of interest or even zooming and moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Diggler
msg tools
I've been collecting the game for a while now (own pretty much everything) with no one to play with around where I live. And, I don't even have a smart phone. But I did download the app off of steam for use on my laptop (nice!)... and I was surprised that a few minutes later, I was pulling IA out of my closet and dusting it off, playing it for the first time.

Like everyone has been saying, this app is AWESOME, and I am stoked that I actually got to play this awesome game. I am looking forward to the app growing; it's a game changer for solo players!

Is it better for me to play solo by just controlling 2 guys with 2 rounds... or should I solo and use 4 guys like Baldur's Gate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with 4 heroes, so I can't say which number works 'best' with the app. I prefer to have a lot of abilities interacting, but it may not be your cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
I have only played with 4 heroes, so I can't say which number works 'best' with the app. I prefer to have a lot of abilities interacting, but it may not be your cup of tea.

Yes, Four heroes starts out fairly easy, but after three missions, each Hero will have four special abilities plus others from equipment and weapons. It is very easy to overlook some crucial ability and only realise it later. Some will like the complex interaction combinations, others will prefer it more streamlined with fewer things to keep track of.

For your first run through, I'd suggest two heroes while you learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
birthright wrote:
It is very easy to overlook some crucial ability and only realise it later.

If an ability is crucial you probably don't have any trouble remembering it. It's the less crucial but still beneficial abilities and combinations that you don't notice.

In other words: With fewer heroes your group is closer to a one-trick-pony. The heroes always do what they do the best. And when you have a hammer, all situations seem like a nail. You have more tools for different situations with more heroes.

That's the trade-off. With less heroes you can manage them better, but it's due to not having the flexibility and synergies in the first place.

Familiarity with the heroes and the game itself of course helps controlling more heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm in need of some clarification:

In both cases I'm playing 2 characters on my own.

1. In the tutorial I got +10 health because...tutorial (presumably). However during the first campaign mission proper (as far as I have gotten), it still gave me +10. Is this right? I didn't take a heroic reward, which I presume I should have done and it didn't prompt me to; should it have?

2. Do I completely ignore the text/abilities on an enemy deployment card (except stats obviously)?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. +10 Health comes from the Heroic Reward card which you have for both heroes if you play with just 2 heroes. This is the normal 2-hero setup. The cards are good as reminders, but because the app already reminds you of the extra health and the second activation token, they are less needed.

2. You ignore optional abilities (with "may" or "choose"), the other abilities such as Relentless and Assault are still in effect. You can click on the "Info" button on the figure to see more information.

The optional abilities are compensated by the imperial figures getting extra bonuses for their activations. If you want to make the game harder you can choose to use also the optional abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.