Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can units ‘commanded’ from A into adjacent B move when the B Army moves, or must they stay put as they’ve already moved as part of the A Army? (This question applies to leader/leaderless armies)... I’m guessing they stay put.

2. Bonus question... can there be more than one Viking Leader Army in one shire? I’m not guessing on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
1. Can units ‘commanded’ from A into adjacent B move when the B Army moves, or must they stay put as they’ve already moved as part of the A Army? (This question applies to leader/leaderless armies)... I’m guessing they stay put.

2. Bonus question... can there be more than one Viking Leader Army in one shire? I’m not guessing on this one.

1. Yes, they stay put. No unit can be a part of two armies in the same turn, period.

2. Sure. They couldn’t cooperate in an attack because leaders move and attack one at a time, but they could defend together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:

1. Yes, they stay put. No unit can be a part of two armies in the same turn, period.

2. Sure. They couldn’t cooperate in an attack because leaders move and attack one at a time, but they could defend together.

Eric, thanks for the speedy reply. Regarding Q1, a technical clarification please. A unit can be part of another army same turn (via Command), it just cannot move again with the army it just joined. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:

Eric, thanks for the speedy reply. Regarding Q1, a technical clarification please. A unit can be part of another army same turn (via Command), it just cannot move again with the army it just joined. Correct?

Yes, that's what I meant to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pepe, I will elaborate a bit more. Since the Unit was in a battle and moved to an adjacent area, it could battle again, if there were opposing units there, but it could not be moved again.
I concur with all that Eric said.
Happy Holidays.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, Uwe-- the elaboration has me confused now.

First, let's make sure we clarify if we're talking leader movement/battle or not, as the original post does not make that definite.

A unit without a leader is not going to "be in a battle and move to an adjacent area in the same turn as (barring some special surprise card) it had to move before battling in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Pepe, I will elaborate a bit more. Since the Unit was in a battle and moved to an adjacent area, it could battle again, if there were opposing units there, but it could not be moved again.
:) I concur with all that Eric said. :)
Happy Holidays.
Uwe

Got it! Thank you both, it’s just like the other games in BoA. Crystal clear now - still getting used to Leader armies with multiple moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Sorry, Uwe-- the elaboration has me confused now.

First, let's make sure we clarify if we're talking leader movement/battle or not, as the original post does not make that definite.

A unit without a leader is not going to "be in a battle and move to an adjacent area in the same turn as (barring some special surprise card) it had to move before battling in the first place.

The unit can ‘be in a battle and move to an adjacent area in the same turn’ via the Command roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wood
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmb

It's not really "movement," though. It's redeploying via command. Maybe the terminology is causing the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christopherwood wrote:

It's not really "movement," though. It's redeploying via command. Maybe the terminology is causing the confusion.

I looked it up on the 1775 manual and it says ‘move’ when explaining the command action, but you’ve hit the nail on the head! I prefer your term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
Regarding Q1, a technical clarification please. A unit can be part of another army same turn (via Command), it just cannot move again with the army it just joined. Correct?

Wouldn’t they just be occupying the same shire together? Armies aren’t formed unless they are preparing for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:
Regarding Q1, a technical clarification please. A unit can be part of another army same turn (via Command), it just cannot move again with the army it just joined. Correct?

Wouldn’t they just be occupying the same shire together? Armies aren’t formed unless they are preparing for movement.

Jeffrey, how about this... you use the command roll to move a unit to an adjacent territory which has a Leader Army (leader stand with the actual forces off-map on the Leader Card) and ‘provincial forces’ (like the old Shogun game). Shouldn’t you have the choice of where that unit goes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:

Jeffrey, how about this... you use the command roll to move a unit to an adjacent territory which has a Leader Army (leader stand with the actual forces off-map on the Leader Card) and ‘provincial forces’ (like the old Shogun game). Shouldn’t you have the choice of where that unit goes?

Is he going to go anywhere before he moves as an army? I don’t think so. Also, as far as I know the Vikings never invaded Japan, so couldn’t have had any interaction with the Shogun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:
[q="longagoigo"][q="msgt pepe"]Regarding Q1, a technical clarification please. A unit can be part of another army same turn (via Command), it just cannot move again with the army it just joined. Correct?

When you add (command decision/reinforce) units to an area that has a leader stand AND leaderless units you have the choice of adding said units to the leaderless units or to the leader’s card (off-map). I used the Shogun game example as it also has leader forces and un-led forces (Shogun was put out many years ago by Milton Bradley). I take it you were probably being funny with your Viking/Shogun reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.