kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the prizes from our Christmas Crackers this Monday was a tiny rectangle of glossy paper printed with a grid, plus some thin plastic discs in two colors. The game had no title.

The rules are poorly translated, but here is my best attempt at cleaning them up:

Object: To remove all of your opponent's pieces.

d10-1 Setup is as shown in Figure A (recreated in my posted image above).

d10-2 Pieces can be moved horizontally or vertically one at a time.

d10-3 As Figures B and C show, whenever there are two of one color and only one of the other color in a straight line, the lone piece is removed from the board.

d10-4 When there are four pieces in a line as in Figures D and E, no pieces are removed.

As a lark, my husband and I attempted to play this game, but discovered three vital points that were unclear:

1 Can players move one another's pieces?

2 How far are you allowed to move a piece on a turn? (I say one space, my husband argues that he should be able to move his piece as far as he likes because they don't specify a maximum distance.)

3 Can you remove an opponent's piece if there is a gap in the column? (I argued that you cannot, because both illustrated examples show three right in a row. My husband argues that you can remove the piece because the written rules don't specify that a gapless line is necessary.)

The real question in all this is, which old strategy game did the Christmas Crackers people try to rip off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Origin of this Christmas Cracker Strategy Game?
What is Christmas Crackers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Origin of this Christmas Cracker Strategy Game?
slydog75 wrote:
What is Christmas Crackers?

They're little prizes. Picture a toilet paper tube, then picture that wrapped with paper hanging over the ends and gathered in a ribbon.

Two people stand opposite each other and each of them pulls on one end of it, kind of like the Thanksgiving wishbone tradition. The cracker pops loudly and the tube breaks; whoever ends up holding the string-end gets the prize inside the Christmas Cracker. The prizes tend to be small: a metal bookmark clip or a tiny brain teaser. Think about prizes you would get in a Crackerjack box. In my case, an uncredited, untitled board game with poorly-written rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are vaugely similar to Nine Men's Morris. Perhaps you could start you research with games similar to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I could spot no obvious candidate in Games played on a 4x4 grid. Maybe it really is original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a glance, if you played by your husband's rules, the game would be completely broken. As soon as you move a piece you lose a piece, and can take a piece on almost any move you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Yard
msg tools
mbmb
It reminds me of Solitaire (the type with a board and pebbles) or Go. I'm sure there's something like solitaire with two players with fox in the title but can't remember what it's called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you thinking of Fox and Geese?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Alarm! Alarm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry I don't know what it is. It reminds me a bit of the Korean traditional game Jul-Gonu.

I hope your husband was trying to be witty with his rule interpretations because, as Jake said above, they would break the game.

I think it's a great idea to put little abstract games in Christmas crackers!

Thank you for sharing this game with us. I'm keen to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.