Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I don't play games with supernatural thematic elements (specifically: magic, afterlife, spells, gods, or other similar tropes). I'm evidently not the only one, so I'm first curious to see how many of you have similar restrictions.

Poll
Do You Play Games With Supernatural Elements?
Yes,it makes no difference to me.
Yes, and I prefer it!
No, I avoid these.
      59 answers
Poll created by Mentat1231

Now, on behalf of those of us who don't like these elements, I was hoping some of you could say whether the following games fit this criterion (i.e. they don't have these supernatural elements in them). It's hard to tell from the descriptions here on BGG.

Yamatai
Voyages of Marco Polo
Concordia
Near and Far / Above and Below
Robinson Crusoe
T.I.M.E. Stories

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Supernatural Ambiguity (Polls)
Also, please just PM me if you want to discuss why I don't like these themes. For the sake of the thread, just treat it like someone who doesn't care for sci-fi themes or sports themes or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes no difference to me.

I don't recall there being any of that in Robinson Crusoe either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
The doo-dah man
badge
Where's the men's gaming forum?
mbmbmbmbmb
From the list you provided, you should probably stay away from Near & Far/Above & Below (many supernatural elements) and T.I.M.E. Stories (Demons, spells, etc.). I don't recall any issues in the other games you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on exactly what it is you don't like, but Robinson Crusoe has a 'Ceremonial Bowl', some kind of shamanistic protective amulet and a scenario where you have to build crosses to complete an exorcism. It is a cursed island after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGĂ“N DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the term "supernatural" might be a bit ambiguous, especially if you includes gods and afterlife (something more metaphysical) along with magic and spells (which would be more fantastic - though not all fantasy settings have spellcasting).

If you are refering to metaphysical elements, it makes no difference to me, unless they try to convey a "real-world" religuous message, in which case I would completely avoid them.

If you are refering to the broader sense of including fantastic elements, I definetively preffer them.

While I have always been a fan of fantasy and science fiction, not just in games, but also books and movies, which I mixed up with some realistic works as well, nowdays I have less and less interest in anything realistic (the only excpetion being historical fiction, in which case: the farther removed from the present, the better).

This is particularly true of games. While my collection is relatively small , the only "realistic" game I have is Wings of War: Famous Aces. Everything else is either fantasy on sceince fiction, and that is very unlikely to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes no difference to me.

Concordia has the names of Roman gods on the cards but no gods appear and there's nothing supernatural, it's just thematic fluff to identify the various card types. Just thought I'd point it out since you didn't specify why you want to avoid those elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
They make no difference to me, and for those that they do make a difference, it seems no person is exactly the same in what aspects do or don't bother them. E.g. Imperial is one of my favorite games, but some refuse to play it because they don't like pretending to be imaginary war capitalists, or feel the game supports anti-semitic Rothschild conspiracy theories, or... I can't really argue against that. People like what they like and don't like what they don't like.

I would tell you to probably avoid Near and Far/Above and Below, mainly because immersing yourself in the theme of the fantasy story elements is where most of the enjoyment I get from the game is. Without that, they're pretty basic euros. Robinson Crusoe has a little bit of this, but the fantasy/mystical aspects of the story are rarer and I think you could still enjoy the game while ignoring those aspects.

Concordia is a pretty dry non-thematic Euro, but the cards are all Roman gods and thematically I guess you are kind of building in different areas (cards) to honor the different gods' interests, so if you can't ignore that and play it as a pure mechanism-based Euro, it might bother you.

I can't speak to the other 3 on your list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigmac33070 wrote:
From the list you provided, you should probably stay away from Near & Far/Above & Below (many supernatural elements) and T.I.M.E. Stories (Demons, spells, etc.). I don't recall any issues in the other games you mentioned.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
Depends on exactly what it is you don't like, but Robinson Crusoe has a 'Ceremonial Bowl', some kind of shamanistic protective amulet and a scenario where you have to build crosses to complete an exorcism. It is a cursed island after all!

Thank you. This would be sufficient to disqualify Robinson Crusoe for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Well, there's the scenario where you place crosses to lift a curse from an island before it's engulfed by some sort of supernatural mist. Not sure that counts.

Above and Below and Near and Far are set in fantasy worlds with mystical beings and some magic. OP, did you not see the picture of the fish people or do you not consider that supernatural?

TIME Stories has time travel, so...

I find this sort of thing difficult to tell in general and pretty arbitrary. What counts as supernatural? Is SciFi supernatural? Is stuff set in the future supernatural? Is stuff set in the past that's not 100% historically accurate supernatural? But the cases I set out above are pretty clear cut, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Well, there's the scenario where you place crosses to lift a curse from an island before it's engulfed by some sort of supernatural mist. Not sure that counts.

Above and Below and Near and Far are set in fantasy worlds with mystical beings and some magic. OP, did you not see the picture of the fish people or do you not consider that supernatural?

TIME Stories has time travel, so...

I find this sort of thing difficult to tell in general and pretty arbitrary. What counts as supernatural? Is SciFi supernatural? Is stuff set in the future supernatural? Is stuff set in the past that's not 100% historically accurate supernatural? But the cases I set out above are pretty clear cut, I think.

I tried to make things a bit clearer in my initial post: magic, spells, afterlife, and gods are what I had in mind by "supernatural". So time travel would be fine (though it's actually incoherent, and therefore impossible), but I'm told that TIME Stories also has some of the elements I specifically mentioned (magic, afterlife, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.