Kanagawa» Forums » Variants

Subject: [Kanagawa] Solo variant « Osahito » rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Humpf Humpf
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing Kanagawa: its theme, its mechanics, its illustrations.

Also, I wanted to play it alone with a twisted opponent and without having to mimic the multiple decisions required by the game rules.
After several tries, I propose you this solo variant (french translation here).

Do not hesitate to send me your feedback!

Good play.
Humpf

For this variant, you and the young Osahito attend the painter Hokusai’s school.
You know that Osahito will be the next emperor and that his practice of art is somewhat different from the rules taught here. The Grand Master enjoys it inwardly, but he wonders who could give a humility lesson to this prestigious apprentice. Will you be this one?

You will face him with the following rules:

Setup

There is no difference with the usual 2-players setup.
Osahito uses any starting tile.
It is useless to provide brushes to Osahito (at begging or later).
The Grand Master and Assistant pawns are not used: Osahito gives you the role of first player during the whole game (and the two Harmony final points that relate to it).

Teachings

You are free to broaden your knowledge or put it into practice as the usual rule. However, Osahito is always pursuing the teachings, so you might better be studious too...
You will put your Lessons cards in your Print or Studio according to the usual rules.

Placement of Lesson cards for Osahito

Osahito, being second player, uses the column of Lesson cards you leave him.
Osahito has no restrictions to expand his Print.
The first and second Lessons always expand his Print (regardless of which knowledges are mandatory to paint these landscapes), EXCEPT IF the card contains one of the 4 studio symbols (Brush, Assistant, Double arrow or Hand), then this Lesson card is stacked in his Studio.
The third Lesson always improves his Studio, EXCEPT IF the card contains a Joker, then it is stacked in his Print.
The order in which his Lesson cards are arranged, as well as the order of the Seasons of his Print, do not matter.

Claiming a Diploma

You and Osahito can have one Diploma at most, per category (color).

In your turn, if you reach their required conditions, you can at any time (even late):
• obtain new Diploma,
• upgrade your Diplomas with better Diplomas of the same category, and give your lower Diplomas back.
In the latter case, the returned Diplomas must be immediately given to Osahito, if he already reached (or exceeded) their prerequisites. If any, he must abandon his lower Diplomas of the same category.

In Osahito's turn, he must immediately obtain the Diplomas for which he reached (or exceeded) the prerequisites (including Diplomas that you have just returned). He must abandon his lower Diplomas of the same category. You can at any time take a Diploma returned by Osahito, if you meet their required conditions.

Diplomas with Storm and Brush bonus: don't forget to return the Diplomas with their bonus. If you already used a bonus Brush, you can no longer return the associated Diploma.

Diplomas with Assistant bonus: You are always the first player.

End of the game

The end of game conditions are unchanged.

Scoring

You score your Harmony points according to the usual rule, including two points for being first player.

Osahito's scoring:
• A: One point per Lesson card in his print (including the starting tile),
• B1: One point per card of the most frequent Season of his Print, independently of their positions (including the starting tile),
• B2: One point per Storm card and per Storm token from his Diplomas (Storm tokens do not need to be placed on the Osahito’s Print),
• C: One point per Harmony symbol of his Print and Studio,
• D: The points of his Diplomas,
• E: One point for each Hand symbol and Assistant symbol of his Studio and Diplomas.

Note that Osahito never get Harmony penalty, because Joker cards must be stacked (hidden) in his Print.

Worksheet:

-you- Osahito
-------------------------------------
Size of Print A
Season and Storms B1 + B2
Harmony symbols C
Diplomas D
Bonus 2 E
-------------------------------------
Total :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardus Sundjaja
msg tools
Thank you for your solo variant. I won with score 54 against osshito scoring 52. Very close scoring duration. But i enjoyed the zen experience of this solo rule.
Kind regards Bernard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humpf Humpf
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you a lot for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NORAZLI SHAZRIL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played using your solo variant, but with a minor rule change. Instead of ending with 11 tiles in print, I use 15 tile to make the game run a little bit longer ☺.

Played twice already and got beaten by Osahito both time, with score 49>46 and 42>32(I focused too much on longest sequence of season on the 2nd game).

Really love this variant. Thanks and thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humpf Humpf
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghobot21 wrote:
Really love this variant. Thanks and thumbs up!

Thank you!
I wonder if Osahito would not be too strong when game duration is extended... To be tested on my side meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NORAZLI SHAZRIL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try some edit for your variant to make the game harder (why? Because I love some challenge ☺). Here are some edit that I make :

-optional : play till 15 prints or deck ran out.

-No 1st player '2' points given because the player remain as the 1st player and this is quite an advantage itself.

-Only Osahito can upgrade his diploma. So following the original rule, player cant take the diploma that have met the requirements few turns before. Tough luck! 😆

-optional : to make the game a bit easier because of the rule change above, Osahito will not paint any duplicate that are already in his print, except for diploma requirements such as 'human' painting and trees. So that mean no 2 boars in his print.

-no point for 'hand' in his studio because it already have 2 harmony icon on it.

-All other rule follow Mr.Humpf's rule above

This is some score that I keep track. I will say first that Im not an expert in this game, so maybe the gap between the scores will be huge for veterans of Kanagawa.

57 v 64 (Osahito)
62 v 60 (me)
63 v 58 (me)
64 v 71 (Osahito)
64 v 64 (draw)
63 v 56 (me)
51 v 61 (Osahito)
62 v 58 (me)

Mr.Humpf system of Osahito playing and scoring (for B1, B2 and E) is the best Kanagawa solo variant. 👍
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana Garcia
Mexico
flag msg tools
Thank you for this variant! I really enjoyed it, it's well done and allows me to play this beautiful game even when I don't have people to share it with (and by "people" I mean "humans who love games").
So far, I won one game 50-42 (lucky me, I think), and lost one game 40-41.

I just have one question:
You said there was no need to give Oshaito brushes, but do you consider them for the diplomas? Like, he has 2 at the beggining in the starting tile, and then he gets another one with a card in his studio... he gets the "Three brushes in studio" diploma, right?

Thanks again for this variant!
Happy playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humpf Humpf
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ana,

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes, usual rule is applicable: when Osahito gets a new brush, he must claim the "brushes diploma" (if available of course).
He keeps this diploma, if he losses a brush in future.

Do you think that this Variant is too easy?
Did you try Norazli's variant above?

Regards
Humpf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.