Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a group that convenes every week in my place. But the members vary every week.

How can I play Gloomhaven with a varying group of plaayers without having people sharing characters?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest solution is to give each player a character class but make it all one group. Then only those that are present will be adventuring that week. The major issue here is that there is a limitation on gear. You could probably house rule this to make thing work.

If there are more than 6 starting out, it becomes more difficult as there are only 6 starting classes. You can't have more than one character of a given class in the group that actually is playing.

Another alternative is to have different groups for different groups of real people. This will work best if you have multiple stable groups. Again the equipment can be physically an issue, as you will have to collect and redistribute it each session or use proxies.

Finally, you could create a single group and simply apportion the characters to the available players. This is the simplest from a logistics perspective, but will remove a lot of the feel of character progression from the group.

There are LOTS of forums dedicated to this issue. You might want to start looking and see if you can find a solution that matches your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aro246 wrote:
I have a group that convenes every week in my place. But the members vary every week.

Of course they do-- there are 12 Playmates and the game only supports you and 3 of them at a time. I'm also insanely, bitterly jealous.

aro246 wrote:
How can I play Gloomhaven with a varying group of plaayers without having people sharing characters?

I've always, personally, imagined Playmates sharing, but that seems to not be what you want. The game comes with individual character sheets, and the rules will explain how to use these. I think, more importantly, you need to make sure good whiskey and music are on hand-- that's the way Hugh did it before you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
aro246 wrote:

Of course they do-- there are 12 Playmates and the game only supports you and 3 of them at a time. I'm also insanely, bitterly jealous.

aro246 wrote:

I've always, personally, imagined Playmates sharing, but that seems to not be what you want. The game comes with individual character sheets, and the rules will explain how to use these. I think, more importantly, you need to make sure good whiskey and music are on hand-- that's the way Hugh did it before you.

It also could help to vote for a playmate of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Paz
Poland
flag msg tools
I don't have the game yet, but I noticed, people recommended using this Android app (Gloomhaven Capaign Tracker) to help organising multiple, simultaneous campaigns.
You can also try using this Interactive Gloomhaven Map for your different teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wise
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jealous as well. I only have 2 other people playing Gloomhaven. Neither of them is a playmate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I made an adjustment for my group. All six starting characters have been assigned out to members for my group and they can play them when they come over to visit. When they are not around they still receive some XP and gold. So for example all six members in the group received xp for successful scenario and ten gold as that was the bonus for that scenario. They also receive any city card bonus. What they did not get was the XP and gold gained during play. That is the way we decided to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sarnowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
thatach wrote:
So, I made an adjustment for my group. All six starting characters have been assigned out to members for my group and they can play them when they come over to visit. When they are not around they still receive some XP and gold. So for example all six members in the group received xp for successful scenario and ten gold as that was the bonus for that scenario. They also receive any city card bonus. What they did not get was the XP and gold gained during play. That is the way we decided to do it.

That's an interesting way to do things. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.