Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have not yet played 'A Phantom of Truth' I recommend you quit reading now, as I will reveal below one of the surprise game mechanics from that scenario.

SPOILER BELOW !

-

-

-

-

I played A Phantom of Truth Christmas eve, solo, with three investigators, Mark, Sefina, and Akachi.

During the upkeep phase of round 6, Mark drew his Basic Weakness the Silver Twilight Acolyte. Well, OK, the Acolyte is defeatable, and I know by now that his special ability reads:

"FORCED - After Silver Twilight Acolyte attacks, Place 1 doom on the current agenda."

As usual, Mark would need to defeat the S.T.A. in the following investigator phase. If he failed, one of his pair of friendly Beat Cop Allies could finish the job.

Realization finally dawned that, at this moment, in this scenario, where only by advancing the AGENDA could we survive our three nights in Paris, the Silver Twilight Acolyte could be used to save ourselves, and must be protected rather than eliminated.

Over the next two rounds, the 10 doom required to advance Agendas 2a and
3a were accumulated as follows:

1 by spending 3 clues
2 by the Mythos phases of rounds 8 and 9
5 by inviting Attacks of Opportunity from the Silver Twilight Acolyte
2 by suffering Enemy phase Attacks from the Silver Twilight Acolyte

Therefore, at the R1 resolution of the scenario, the Silver Twilight Acolyte's 7 doom had saved the (thoroughly-beaten-up) investigators 7 times from dealing with the Invulnerable Organist, and 21 times from drawing Encounter Deck cards!

That Parisian Silver Twilight Acolyte was our BEST BUDDY !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H.
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Click the Wordpress link below to visit the Atlas Agency, my space for Arkham LCG reviews and videos.
badge
Click the Wordpress link below to visit the Atlas Agency, my space for Arkham LCG reviews and videos.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's hilarious. It seems like fair compensation for having to deal with Silver Twilight Acolyte throughout the other scenarios. I think he's my least favorite weakness enemy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPOLIERS:

That's pretty awesome!

If you have higher Conviction than Doubt though, he still will make the scenario harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, SoakMan, his doom don't go on his own card, but directly to the Agenda card !

Wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've just finished a similar game with the Acolyte advancing our doom a bit. Felt like cheating, honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Nope, SoakMan, his doom don't go on his own card, but directly to the Agenda card !

Wonderful.

Oh! I missed that! Good point. I haven't actually had him in any of my decks so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished the scenario the other night. It dawned on my early that my random basic weakness, Silver Twilight Acolyte, would be a ironic boon to our prospects of surviving this bizarre scenario. I milled my deck like crazy trying to draw my weakness but didn't see him until the next-to-last turn of the game. The one time I've ever wanted to hit a weakness I can't draw it to save my life cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSlex, you have my sincere condolences.

Did you at least get four doom out of your STA on the final turn? Or by that time did you only need one more doom on the Agenda?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.