Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I start please know we checked the flow chart and goggle searched.
Not sure why, at times I get salty answers when this is a place that is all about games and even if it's old hat for some it's brand spanking new for me and my family.

This being said:

1) We have confusion as to how one fights. Not the dice roll but how do you fight.
If you are attacked due to adventure card pick and the enemy has strength stat rather than craft does that mean you engage it on that stat? Do you have a choice of how to engage?
Same for PvP?

2) we had an issue where me and another player fought. They were a magic user with no spells and a ton of craft, I was an assassin with about 8 strength. When I attacked her I used my stregth, but when she attacked me she was rolling based in craft? Is this allowed even if she doesn't have spells and when this happens do I defend based on my stregth or craft?

3) please, please explain how you make "checks" to enter portal of power. Based on what we read in instructions or online it seems you just first have to land on the tile, then in your next turn just roll and move in. We felt this was wrong so we need clear instructions.

4) if my inventory is full and I want to pick something up on a tile that either has a card on it already or I draw. Can I reshuffle my inventory and keep what I want I drop what I don't? As an aside do cards left on tile count towards the draw count?
In other words, I don't draw anything cause there is an object card there. Also how many objects followers...etc can you drop on a tile?

5) if you have a shield and armor and you lose a turn of battle do you roll for each piece of armor or you must choose and make a roll? Does it even make sense to have all that armor?

6) when in the inner region: even though we move only one space do we still roll so we can move reaper, harbinger and wolf? When in command tower, when we roll a 1, do we still move reaper,wolf and harbinger?

7) we had major confusion about something. When we landed on a tile with another character. We resolved the tile first, then decided whether or not to attack the player. Is this correct or is it either/or?

Thank you very much for all your help fellow talisman players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge
The Wanderer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - You fight the Enemy with whatever attribute it has. There are Enemies in expansions that have dual attributes that can either fight with your choice of attribute, or with your lowest attribute.

2 - If a character has the ability to attack you in Psychic Combat on their card, you must use your Craft attribute when fighting them.

3 - Provided you have enough remaining "die roll" left, you can attempt to enter the Portal of Power. Choose an attribute and roll two dice. If you are successful by rolling less or equal to that attribute you move to the Plain of Peril and your turn ends. If not, lose one from the chosen attribute and your turn ends.

4 - You can drop (ditch) any number of cards on a space, and yes, if you want to pick something up, but already have 4 Objects, you can choose something to drop before you pick it up.

5 - You can only use one piece of Armour. You can choose which one to use.

6 - No. You do not roll a die in the Inner Region, so they do not move. If you roll a 1 for your Command Spell, you do not move the Reaper etc as it is not a movement roll.

7 - No, when you land on a space with another character, you choose to either encounter the space OR the character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Before I start please know we checked the flow chart and goggle searched.
Not sure why, at times I get salty answers when this is a place that is all about games and even if it's old hat for some it's brand spanking new for me and my family.

If it's me, I'm not trying to be salty, I'm just not sure how some rules are being overlooked.

I think part of your problem is this:
BIgLatinDude wrote:
6) when in the inner region: even though we move only one space do we still roll so we can move reaper, harbinger and wolf? When in command tower, when we roll a 1, do we still move reaper,wolf and harbinger?

Too many expansions too soon.
You might want to play with _JUST_ the base game for a while until you have a more solid handle on the standard rules. That way you also only need to look in one rulebook for an answer instead of hunting around multiple ones.
talismanisland wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:
2) we had an issue where me and another player fought. ...When I attacked her I used my stregth, but when she attacked me she was rolling based in craft? Is this allowed even if she doesn't have spells and when this happens do I defend based on my stregth or craft?

2 - If a character has the ability to attack you in Psychic Combat on their card, you must use your Craft attribute when fighting them.

The 'defense' stat is always the same as the 'attack' stat.
If the attacker has an ability/item/whatever that specifically allows them to start a Psychic Combat, then Craft will be used. Otherwise it's always Strength.
talismanisland wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:
4) if my inventory is full and I want to pick something up on a tile that either has a card on it already or I draw. Can I reshuffle my inventory and keep what I want I drop what I don't? As an aside do cards left on tile count towards the draw count?
In other words, I don't draw anything cause there is an object card there. Also how many objects followers...etc can you drop on a tile?

4 - You can drop (ditch) any number of cards on a space, and yes, if you want to pick something up, but already have 4 Objects, you can choose something to drop before you pick it up.

Cards left on a tile DO count towards the draw limit.
You can 'ditch' a carried Object onto a space at any time.
You can freely ditch any number of Objects/Followers during your turn, unless the Object/Follower says it can't be ditched.
talismanisland wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:
7) we had major confusion about something. When we landed on a tile with another character. We resolved the tile first, then decided whether or not to attack the player. Is this correct or is it either/or?
7 - No, when you land on a space with another character, you choose to either encounter the space OR the character.

This is where I say FLOWCHART.
And I'm not sure how you missed this, as it is almost the first thing at the top.
"Move"
V
"Are there any other characters in the space?"
V YES V
"Encounter one of them or not?"
> If YES > "Encounter Character", follow remaining steps of flowchart (none of which lead back around to "encounter space")
> If NO > "Encounter the Space", follow remaining steps of flowchart (the only option that could lead you to encountering a Character is if you get moved to a new space).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought all mages, sorcerers, and sages attacked by default in psychic combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcin marcinek
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
We thought all mages, sorcerers, and sages attacked by default in psychic combat?
No, and there's no such category.
All characters attack with Strength, most don't even have an option to attack with Craft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaska Saedelaere
msg tools
mbmb
Szatany wrote:
All characters attack with Strength...

That's not exactly true and might be a bit confusing as per your choice of words.

Attacks are split into two types: battles and psychic combats.

By default, you can only attack other players in battle, using strength.
Some characters have abilities that let them attack other characters in psychic combat, using craft.

As for enemies, it depends on their cards. (I think Jon did a pretty good job of explaining that already.)

In general though, there are very few cases were you can use different stats in battle and/or combat. (With some items, special abilities etc.) Most of the time, you and your adversary have to use the same attribute, be it strength or craft, depending on battle and/or psychic combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Beijer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also received some ”flow chart rants” when posting my first questions here. But it kind of made me realise that I needed to read the rulebook and character cards properly. Learned alot from that and it greatly reduces play time if at least one person knows the rules.

And as pointed out, expansions certainly adds alot of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules tend to be vague. Flow chart helps but it's not all encompassing. So I come to BGG for help. I just hate when I'm referred back to rules I've read and re-read.
That being said, I understand that some folks may think we are trying to circumvent a very fundamental first step.

However, thank you all for your help.
We had more questions but I've been hesitant to post here and instead I've been searching on the web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.