Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m just looking for a ball park, but could anyone who is very familiar with the game give me an estimate on how many turns rounds a player could expect (on average) in a single game?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How many turns does the typical game take?
Necr0mancer wrote:
I’m just looking for a ball park, but could anyone who is very familiar with the game give me an estimate on how many turns a player could expect (on average) in a single game?

you sure you want to know number of turns? given that depends on how many workers each player has and how many workers the player puts on the board as part of a single turn (to the various quarries, obviously the other areas are just one worker (or 2 for the making babies location)

average number of "rounds" is maybe what you meant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How many turns does the typical game take?
Yup, rounds is what I meant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say about 13?

It's a game that gets going slowly. There are some set-up variants that can make the game a bit quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretical minimum number of rounds is 7 and that is if one or more players buys a hut from the same stack each round. Closest I've seen to this personally was 8 rounds.

Maximum number of rounds... is a lot harder to figure. It's really player dependent. If players just hoard resources and never buy huts or cards, things could never end. Unlikely with good players. I would guess 16 rounds (possibly 20?) would be a reasonable upper limit.

All of that to say 12-14 rounds is probably the average. I rarely keep track of rounds when playing though so these numbers are grabbed from thin air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the first few games, once getting the rules/strategy more sorted, I've found that games tend to be about 10 rounds with four players. I've not played as much with fewer and haven't noticed the round count at two or three players.
In four player games 12 rounds would have everyone start three times, I rarely see that happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With good players, someone is drilling huts hard, trying to limit the big card bonuses, and if there is a Starvation strategy player, EVERYONE should be trying to drill a single hut pile.

A game of Stone Age with four very good players should last eight to ten rounds, based on my tournament play experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
alexdrazen wrote:
With good players, someone is drilling huts hard, trying to limit the big card bonuses, and if there is a Starvation strategy player, EVERYONE should be trying to drill a single hut pile.

A game of Stone Age with four very good players should last eight to ten rounds, based on my tournament play experiences.

I agree with this, with one exception: If you get players blocking the hut piles as a strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
alexdrazen wrote:

I agree with this, with one exception: If you get players blocking the hut piles as a strategy.

Even in that case, it is usually only one blocker, so they can't really do it unless they have the First Player marker (or inattentive opponents), which should only happen an average of twice. So that will only stretch it one or two rounds (usually to the 10-11 range).

Stone Age is a zero sum game; you don't necessarily want to maximize your own VP. You want to max out your relative VP. I once saw a starver decline a Farm on a roll-for-everyone card because a Tool scored him 2vp. But the next player had all the Agriculture bonuses but only 1 tool bonus. So to get 2vp, he let her have like 6 or 7vp, but if he had done it the other way, he would get 0 but she would only get 1, losing him only 1vp instead of 4-5vp, which is about what he ended up losing to her by! Similarly, don't let anyone just do whatever they want; sniping valuable cards and huts is more important than long term strategy. Stone Age is a purely tactical affair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.